GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Phalenopsis propagating (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/94663-phalenopsis-propagating.html)

boothbay 24-05-2005 01:25 PM

Phalenopsis propagating

Can one propagate a fallen leaf of a Phalenopsis orchid? I just bought
this at Loews and when I touched the top, it was completely dry. I
watered it and apparently by the sign of the opened flowers that started
to curl within themselves, I must of watered it too soon. Its hard to
tell if it needs water by the touch. its not like you could stick your
finger down as u would with regular soil pots. So one of the large
leaves dropped off and yet it looks healthy. Now that I've restrain
myself from watering again, a couple of those curled flowers are
starting to open up as they should. What is a fool proof way of knowing
when to water to this newbie Orchid grower? Thanks

[email protected] 24-05-2005 04:04 PM

Hi, try not to move your orchid around very much-less likely to damage
it. Use sphagnum moss for the medium-you can stick your finger down
inside to see if it's damp at the bottom. I read in here where someone
used a sharpened pencil-it gets the end damp when inserted. Read up on
Phal. care (google it) for example don't let water stand in the bottom
tray, watch temperature fluctuations, and even run a fan-mine love
this.......Burr (as for the leaf-it's normal for phals. to loose
them--they'll usually turn yellow, hard to get off though, I usually let
them go a few days then if I can't get it loose I cut it off with a pair
of scissors)

Bob Walsh 24-05-2005 04:58 PM

To answer your first question, no you cannot propagate a Phal (or any other
orchid I'm aware of) from a leaf.

Was it a top ,middle or bottom leaf that came off. It is not normal for an
upper leaf to come off unless the crown (where the leaves attach at the top)
has rotted. Let us know.

You can wiggle your finger down an inch and a half or so into most orchid
potting mixes. If it feels damp don't water.
If it feels mushy or smells swampy repot it. If you use sphagnum moss try
and find moss from New Zealand. If using a orchid mix many stores carry
orchid potting mix.

You can find care instructions on the American Orchid Society website:
orchid.org/aos/index.aspx

Bob

samaki 25-05-2005 10:53 PM

"Bob Walsh" wrote in message ...
To answer your first question, no you cannot propagate a Phal (or any other
orchid I'm aware of) from a leaf.

Bob

As far as I know you can easily propagate Restrepia from leaf, just

like African violets.

greetings from Poland
Martha