GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   New plants from "cane"cuttings? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/94900-new-plants-%22cane%22cuttings.html)

bob 28-05-2005 02:04 PM

New plants from "cane"cuttings?

Hi;

I took a spent cane [Dendrobium](no leaves) and cut it into sections,
coated each cut end with rooting hormone, then placed it on a bed of
wet sphagnum moss in a plasitc tray. Did I do O.K. so far? I placed the
trao it is not in direct sun light but gets plenty of shaded light. How
long do I wait for any rooting and if I do get roots where will the new
sprout (plant) be positioned on the cut cane?
Bob

Susan Erickson 28-05-2005 02:48 PM

On 28 May 2005 06:04:12 -0700, "bob" wrote:

Hi;

I took a spent cane [Dendrobium](no leaves) and cut it into sections,
coated each cut end with rooting hormone, then placed it on a bed of
wet sphagnum moss in a plasitc tray. Did I do O.K. so far? I placed the
trao it is not in direct sun light but gets plenty of shaded light. How
long do I wait for any rooting and if I do get roots where will the new
sprout (plant) be positioned on the cut cane?
Bob

I laid the can on its side and did not cut at all. each node has
a chance of being a live eye. Some will sprout some will not.
Many people cut the canes as you did. I would say that if the
cane was green not dry and yellow you should get a good keiki.
As to how long this will take, until the cane rots, sprouts or
dries up. It can take forever Grin (a year) or be just a
couple of weeks.
Good luck.
SuE

bob 28-05-2005 10:31 PM

Sue:Thanks so much for the boost in confidence. I am looking foward to
the keikis and will keep you posted
Bob