Old 29-05-2005, 04:41 AM
Debi JS

Default Help! Red Spider Mites & Honeydew

I'm new to orchids, having grown them for only about a year. I don't know
anyone who is growing them in my area of north central Texas, and the
closest society is 150 miles away, so I'm pleading for your help!

I have a horrible infestation of spider mites in my yard, and they
apparently spread to my cymbidiums which I was growing on a patio. The
infestation is so bad on two plants that I can actually see the webs amongst
the leaves or spread slightly above the potting medium.

Before I realized what the problem was, I brought the plants indoors to see
if they would do better. Now my Stellamizutaara Kelly 'Lea' and dancing lady
oncidium show signs of infestation. Each has a stippled leaf. When I wiped
the undersides with a finger, a few bugs (small dark dots) were transferred
to it.

Wouldn't you know that the stellamizutaara and oncidium are in spike and
only days from blooming? sigh These are the second two of only three
orchids that I have managed to spike "on my own." What should I do?!

Also, is it normal for some orchids to excrete a honeydew-like substance?
The largest of two new leads on my only cattleya has been excreting a clear
liquid that is sort of sticky for about two months. I keep wiping it off,
and each time it returns, though the drops become progressively smaller.
Also, two very tiny drops of the same sort of stuff are exuding from one of
the oncidium flower buds. I see no signs of aphids or damage from other
insects. In fact, the cattleya lead is a beautiful light green and about
four or five inches high.

I am very worried. I've become quite attached to my orchids and am very fond
of my new hobby. I'd hate to kill my plants!

I look forward to any advice you can offer!

Debi

Old 29-05-2005, 05:25 AM

Is there a plant nursery nearby you can get advice from? Can you
submerge the plant in water to drown the pests? Go to Wal Mart to get a
basic bug spray for plants? Someone in here will know......Burr

Old 29-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Al

If the mites are this bad you should go to a garden/nursery store and pick
up something to spray them with. Most insecticides that are available in
you area will have a list of insects that they kill. Most will not be
labeled for orchids, but many have a general catch-all term "Ornamental
plants". Anything that kills mites on Roses, would be helpful and easy to
find. Follow the label directions regarding. Pay attention to repeat
application cycle times.

The exudate on new growths and flower buds is normal on cattleya. However,
mite infestation can also make it happen.

Old 29-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Debi JS

Al and Rambler,

Thanks so much for the advice! I have submerged the pots/medium the
cymbidiums were growing in for a good soak, and have washed and repotted
them in fresh medium. I had already wiped the leaves on the other plants. I
will apply an insecticide after a trip to the store.

I appreciate your help.

Debi

Old 31-05-2005, 03:25 AM
Bob Walsh

Debi,

I recently had spider mites and it was recommended to me by Jerry at Orchids
Limited to use an insecticidal soap to kill them. Use once a week for three
weeks. Don't spray the buds. It caused the buds on a phal of mine to blast
(wilt and drop off).

Check the labels on insecticides for use on orchids and whether it is for
spider mites. The soap is safer.

Bob

Old 31-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Aaron Hicks

Neem oil is very safe, and is effective on spider mites.

Ultimately, determining the source is important; in the
greenhouse, there are usually mites present- but they are kept in check by
predators. It's when we put things out of whack with a spray program that
perpetuates itself that it becomes a wave-like problem.

Ultimately, low humidity fosters the growth of mites by making it
hard for the predators to survive. Mites can do quite well in high
humidity- even in areas with condensed moisture!- but if the predators are
present, the mites will be decimated.

The address in the header is not valid. Send no email there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 01-06-2005, 08:40 AM
Debi JS

Bob,

I am so glad you told me this before I applied the insecticide I purchased
yesterday to the two plants in spike.

The first Stellamizutaara bud opened today, and the Oncidium looks like it
will
begin blooming any day. I would have been very disappointed to miss at least
seeing my first flowers!

I will shelve the insecticide for them until seeing if the insecticidal soap
or Neem oil
work.

Thanks,

Debi

Old 01-06-2005, 08:58 AM
Debi JS

Thanks, Aaron.

I suspect my climate is simply unsuitable for growing cymbidiums,
unfortunately now that I have four. I'm not doing well with paph
type dendros, either.

Indoors, I have an ultrsasonic humidifier and east, west and south
facing windows. I'd like to try some other types of orchids, but don't
know which yet. Suggestions are welcome!

Debi