Old 01-06-2005, 12:29 AM
J Fortuna

Default phal violacea blooming cycle?

I was wondering how long phal violacea flower can be expected to bloom? The
reason why I am asking is because my phal violacea is wilting after only one
week of blooming. :-( This is the second time that it is in bloom. The first
time it wilted after about 1 week of blooming as well, but I had assumed
that this was because the plant was not healthy then (it had almost no roots
then). But this time the plant has grown healthy roots, and in general I
thought that it's a fairly healthy happy plant, except that it's once again
wilting its flower after a week. It's got more buds on the same spike I
think, so the flowering season is hopefully not over for it, but still.
Could this be normal? If not, what should I look for as possible causes of
premature wilting.

Thanks,
Joanna

Old 01-06-2005, 01:32 AM

Hi Joanna,
Maybe it's just the species of this plant-try using a fan in the
room, raising the humidity or watching the heat fluctuations of the
room. I had an orchid last year that had two blooms. One was ok (it
was beautiful-vein like appearance of the petals) but then my bedroom
got too hot and it blasted of course. Another lady posted in here and
said she had her phal. in her kitchen window. Ouch, that might not be
such a good idea as kitchens can have temperature variations off the
scale-least ours does. Anyway try different things even misting and
good luck......Burr

Old 01-06-2005, 01:36 AM
Al

A week per flower on a violacea is not normal in my experience. Mine hang
around for a month to 6 weeks per flower. However, if that Phal, and only
that phal, in your collection does this bloom after bloom, then maybe it is
normal for that Phal. If only more plants would read the manuals for their
species, they would know how to behave.

It could also be more sensitive to things in the environment than your other
Phals It's not sitting next to a bowl of ripening fruit is it? Have you
accidentally knocked off the pollen cap twice in a row? ;-)