Old 04-06-2005, 01:13 AM
boothbay

Default Misting orchids

I read somewhere to mist Phalaenopsis Orchids daily. Exactly where
should it be misted? On the flowers themselves or the top rim of the pot
Old 04-06-2005, 04:23 AM
Ray

The idea behind misting is to raise the local humidity, not specifically to
wet the plant.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:22 AM

I use a tray (of just about any kind) underneath my orchids to hold
water with a grid of some kind on top. I mist now and then - mostly
when I see dust and then wipe off with a cotton ball - works
good.....Burr

Old 04-06-2005, 06:40 AM

I read that just building a constant humid enviroment for your orchids
is best.
They need the 24-7 moisture and misting drops off in a matter of
minutes, plus it can lead to stuff like crown rot and other stuff.

Old 04-06-2005, 03:15 PM
bob

boothbay wrote:
I read somewhere to mist Phalaenopsis Orchids daily. Exactly where
should it be misted? On the flowers themselves or the top rim of the pot

****Move to Southeast Florida where it is always HUMID!! Great for my
orchids, out side.
Bob

Old 04-06-2005, 08:05 PM
Bob Walsh

I have read that some studies have been done that show that humidity trays
are ineffective more than an inch or two above the tray. If you have a fan
going for air circulation, which is perhaps more important for your orchids,
the tray is probably less effective.

A better way to supply humidity around your orchids (and justify more
purchases to support your addiction) is to have more orchids around them as
the plants give off moisture themselves.

bob

Old 04-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Steve

bob wrote:

boothbay wrote:

I read somewhere to mist Phalaenopsis Orchids daily. Exactly where
should it be misted? On the flowers themselves or the top rim of the pot

****Move to Southeast Florida where it is always HUMID!! Great for my
orchids, out side.
Bob

Bob, I'm surprised to hear that you feel the need to have more people
moving down there. ;-)

Steve
Old 05-06-2005, 12:25 AM
Diana Kulaga

Yes, moving down here with us would do it, alright. But here's a thought
about indoor humidity.

We don't want our indoor air to be too dry. But it seems to me that if you
bring the humidity in the entire house up to the standard that your orchids
enjoy, you are inviting some problems. You don't want moisture running down
your walls, after all. I think it would be best to stick with high humidity
in your orchid grow area, though I certainly agree that raising the level in
the entire dwelling can be beneficial, to a point.

Diana

Old 05-06-2005, 03:00 AM
V_coerulea

It would be great to raise the humidity level of the house to 40% or so, and
then maintaining the humidity in the area immediately around the orchids
would be a lot easier. When I did pennance in Yankeeland for some years
(Yes, Ray, I did live in Yankeeland for a number of years in my younger
days), we had a humidifier inserted into the main heating duct and supplied
with its own water supply. We did have to periodically clean the tray due to
the mineral precipitation. The drum rotated evaporating water into the dry
air. There ae probably better ones on the market today, but they do exist.
And we had significantly fewer colds and lower heating bills since the air
was more comfortable.
Gary

wrote in message
rg...
On 3 Jun 2005 21:40:17 -0700 in
.com
wrote:
I read that just building a constant humid enviroment for your orchids
is best.
They need the 24-7 moisture and misting drops off in a matter of
minutes, plus it can lead to stuff like crown rot and other stuff.

Any pointers on how to keep that constant humidity going?
I've done a winter of feeding humidifiers for orchids in the house
and have enjoyed the extra humidity myself. But I'm thinking it
might be smarter to do something automatic for the whole house
to bring up the base humidity for the house so I'm not refilling
humifiers as often.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil

Old 18-06-2005, 10:56 PM
profpam

Hi V_coerulea,

Yes, a swamp cooler is more efficient than air conditioning for raising
the humidity. However, during already humid conditions, it will not
lower temperature and becomes very inefficient; thus, most high
temperature desert days lend itself nicely to a swamp cooler in which
case I have seen an 82-87 degree temperature in the greenhouse when
temps have surpassed 100 and humidity is low.
Unfortunately, misting is not always the answer either. If misting
occurs late in the afternoon, water remaining in the crowns of vandas
will produce rot. Disease also will sometimes occur when both humidity
and temperature are high. I have had blooming plants for weeks inside
the house wihen humidity has dropped to 15-30 (temperature inside is
moderate due to air conditioning) and still thrive when returned to the
greenhouse; so, I am not too certain that for some species that dry
conditions for short-term are terribly negative. (I know this might be
contrary; however, I have kept plants inside (w/ heat and air
conditioning) which were in bloom and developed pods for the duration of
the pod only to have them come into bloom again)).

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html flasks, too --
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/flask.html

V_coerulea wrote:

It would be great to raise the humidity level of the house to 40% or so, and
then maintaining the humidity in the area immediately around the orchids
would be a lot easier. When I did pennance in Yankeeland for some years
(Yes, Ray, I did live in Yankeeland for a number of years in my younger
days), we had a humidifier inserted into the main heating duct and supplied
with its own water supply. We did have to periodically clean the tray due to
the mineral precipitation. The drum rotated evaporating water into the dry
air. There ae probably better ones on the market today, but they do exist.
And we had significantly fewer colds and lower heating bills since the air
was more comfortable.
Gary

wrote in message
. org...

On 3 Jun 2005 21:40:17 -0700 in
ps.com
wrote:

I read that just building a constant humid enviroment for your orchids
is best.
They need the 24-7 moisture and misting drops off in a matter of
minutes, plus it can lead to stuff like crown rot and other stuff.

Any pointers on how to keep that constant humidity going?
I've done a winter of feeding humidifiers for orchids in the house
and have enjoyed the extra humidity myself. But I'm thinking it
might be smarter to do something automatic for the whole house
to bring up the base humidity for the house so I'm not refilling
humifiers as often.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil

Automatic Misting Controll Switch Larry Dighera Orchids 13 18-06-2003 10:32 PM
Misting John Mallery Orchids 0 04-05-2003 06:32 PM
[IBC] Moss in dry climes (was: [IBC] Misting outdoor trees) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 12-04-2003 03:44 PM
[IBC] Misting outdoor trees Brian Berggoetz Bonsai 4 12-04-2003 09:20 AM
Misting System Broken Sam Bass Texas 0 05-04-2003 12:10 PM