Old 09-06-2005, 01:47 AM
danny

I've had to take judging photos of Ervin Granier's plants and I still
haven't become a Cattleya nut. Of course part of the reason is I can't grow
many of them under lights. Maybe someday when I have a greenhouse...
-danny

"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
. ..
Rob,

Yes, there is always one poucher in the group at the least. Ah well... in
due time you too shall come back into the fold where you belong. Some day
will be posting blooming pictures of the Cattleya percivaliana coeruleas I
have in flask now and you too will succumb to the Cattleya siren.

Mick

Old 09-06-2005, 05:38 AM
Mick Fournier

Danny,

Neofinetia falcata don't grow in semi hydro or sphagnum moss east of the
Mississippi and south of the Mason-Dixon. I have seen only a couple of
California growers able to start and maintain some juveniles in sphagnum
moss and then only if the plastic pot is an airy web pot. You need a teak
or cedar basket instead. Tie the plant firmly to the inside of the wood
basket and pop some chopped cubes of coarse coconut husk into the basket.

Mick

=========================

"danny" wrote in message
. ..
For some reason the Neofinetias are a bit touchy for me (and many other
people in Atlanta). I haven't gotten them to keep their roots in my CHC

mix
or in semi-hydro, I just repotted them into sphagnum to see if that works.

The Sedirea is nice for growing under lights. Some of the Aerides plants
I've seen are kinda big and viny for my conditions.

-danny

"Mick Fournier" wrote in message
Danny,

Sedirea spelled backwards is Aerides. I bloomed an Aerides
quinquevulnerum
var purpurea two weeks ago.

Click on:
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...ridesquin1.jpg

I sell these in flask on my website.

If you can bloom Sedirea... then what's the big deal over blooming out
Neofinetia falcata?

Mick

Old 09-06-2005, 06:43 AM
Dave S

Mick,

I'm not fully versed on Cattleya genetics. What color form(s) would you
expect from a cross of a coerulea on the semi-alba?

My Cattleya mossiae semi-alba didn't spike this year...probably upset
by our move last fall. It is absolutely stunning when it does...as is
the one in the photo you posted. Hard to beat those big, showy Cattleya
species.

Dave

Mick Fournier wrote:
Ray,

Ooooo Ray, that hurt. I am no longer a hybridizer. I put some pollen from
a blue ribbon (2003 Redlands show) Cattleya mossiae var coerulea on this
plant and the pod has already started. I think that is going to be my cross
of choice on this stud plant.

Mick

Old 09-06-2005, 07:02 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 23:38:59 -0400, "Mick Fournier"
wrote:

Danny,

Neofinetia falcata don't grow in semi hydro or sphagnum moss east of the
Mississippi and south of the Mason-Dixon. I have seen only a couple of
California growers able to start and maintain some juveniles in sphagnum
moss and then only if the plastic pot is an airy web pot. You need a teak
or cedar basket instead. Tie the plant firmly to the inside of the wood
basket and pop some chopped cubes of coarse coconut husk into the basket.

Mick

The basket I agree on - but I like to make it very small and prop
them high in the basket with moss under them - sort of the
traditional mound. When I had coarse husk in the basket they had
a tendency to settle down in below the top edge. Then they
pouted.
They are worth all the fuss Danny.
SuE
Old 09-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 19:15:50 -0400, "Mick Fournier"
wrote:

Danny,

Sedirea spelled backwards is Aerides. I bloomed an Aerides quinquevulnerum
var purpurea two weeks ago.

Click on:
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...ridesquin1.jpg

I sell these in flask on my website.

If you can bloom Sedirea... then what's the big deal over blooming out
Neofinetia falcata?

Mick

Fabulous! Almost worth the fuss of a flask. I am not a seedling
person. My gh gets too cold at night.
SuE

Old 09-06-2005, 01:49 PM
Mick Fournier

Sue,

Famed NF grower Cal Early in Korea likes to put them on top of a mound also
as I recall... good suggestion. I recently set one basket up of NF (Syoujou
Red x Amani Pink) using that mound concept with a ball of coconut fiber
(coir) below and it is working well also.

Mick

----------------------------

Old 09-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Rob

Mick Fournier wrote:
Rob,

Yes, there is always one poucher in the group at the least. Ah well... in
due time you too shall come back into the fold where you belong. Some day I
will be posting blooming pictures of the Cattleya percivaliana coeruleas I
have in flask now and you too will succumb to the Cattleya siren.

Mick

Actually Mick (or anybody), what do you know about C. harrisoniae? I
have one that is blooming out an almost magenta, hot-pink kind of color.
Is that a real color for harrisoniae? These are out of a 'compot' (of
plants which were all blooming size) from Lenette's.

http://littlefrogfarm.com/images/C_harrisoniae.jpg

The photo makes it out to be far more blue than it actually is... It
does have a little bit of blue in the hot-pink.

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 10-06-2005, 12:10 AM
Mick Fournier

Dave,

I am sure the intellectual scientifcos will dispute my estimates with some
dam facts based on their old high school science books. You know, I always
hate to have to go and look at an intellectual scientifco's greenhouse to
give an opinion on something... all the plants look like dried up shit, but
they can sure quote the exact specifications for what technically "should
have grown" for them.

But I would hope for:

25% coerulea
25% semi alba
25% coerulescens
25% normal

My estimates are based on experience... not genetic theory.

Mick
www.OrchidFlask.com

=============================

ups.com...

Old 10-06-2005, 04:29 AM
Ray

Just teasing, Mick.. The cattleya is gorgeous and I hope that the
cross you are making blooms well and grows magnificently for you...
Have a great day...
Ray Lloyd

Old 10-06-2005, 07:37 AM
Dave S

Thanks Mick....experience wins over theory in the real world.

The few C. mossiae v. coerulea plants I have seen have smaller flowers
than the type or semi-albas, but the flowers lasted longer. I guess one
could hope for the best of all worlds to pass onto a few seedlings. Big
coeruleas and a semi-alba that lasts for a month!

Dave

Old 10-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Mick Fournier

Dave,

Thaaaaaat's the new objective.

Mick

oups.com...

Old 10-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Dave S

I'll be in touch for a flask when they ready....

Dave