Old 09-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Bill

Default Brazilian Miltonias vs Miltoniopsis

Hi All, As I was beginning this --it dawned on me that I already have
this info. on my website. I have put two new pages up: "Unique" and
"Miltonias". Unique deals with unique one of a kind Oncidiinae
Intergenerics and Miltonias speaks for itself.It is very difficult
(nearly impossible) to get folks in Florida to know there are two
different species-- Miltonia & Miltoniopsis. People have been so
disapointed by Miltoniopsis dying in hot summer heat that when you say
Miltonia they back off. That is because vendors who bring Miltoniopsis
into Florida, sell them as Miltonias. The registration authority allows
Miltoniopsis to be called Miltonias but, when sold they should be
designated COOL GROWING MILTONIOPSIS !!! I understand their attraction
though-- I have wasted hundreds of dollars buying them myself. I guess
if you want to go to the expense of either A/C or wet-pads & fans you
can keep them alive. Miltonias, on the other hand grow very fast in
Florida. Check out my two new pages--
http://www.orchidislandorchids.com GOOD CROWING!!, Bill

Old 10-06-2005, 02:15 PM
bob

Good morning Bill;

Sorry to bother you but after reading your post to the "orchid news
group" poining out the diffrancef between Miltonia and Miltoniopsis. I
Had to ask you this.Since I live in SouthEast Fl. I am interested in
the Miltonias but.. ALWAYS A BUT. They do not have the "pansy" look of
the cool growing Miltoniaopis. Is there a Miltonia with the pansy like
bloom? My wife is partial to pansies and if I bring home another orchid
I and the orchids get tossed out!!!

The patio (outside) is now "orchid country" and the Miltonia ( if it
exists) will take center stage.

drbob..Delray Beach, FL
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.
It must be true because my wife and adult children keep telling me to
"grow up".

Old 11-06-2005, 12:23 AM
Bill

bob wrote:
Good morning Bill;

Sorry to bother you but after reading your post to the "orchid news
group" poining out the diffrancef between Miltonia and Miltoniopsis. I
Had to ask you this.Since I live in SouthEast Fl. I am interested in
the Miltonias but.. ALWAYS A BUT. They do not have the "pansy" look of
the cool growing Miltoniaopis. Is there a Miltonia with the pansy like
bloom? My wife is partial to pansies and if I bring home another orchid
I and the orchids get tossed out!!!

The patio (outside) is now "orchid country" and the Miltonia ( if it
exists) will take center stage.

drbob..Delray Beach, FL
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.
It must be true because my wife and adult children keep telling me to
"grow up".

Hi Bob, Sadly no. There are a few with a semblance of a waterfall lip
but nothing that could be called a Pansy Brazilian. The Milt.
spectabilis has some stripes in the lip (I have one blooming now that
is pink with a darker lip & very definate stripes Milt moreliane is
dark purple and very striking & there are some really nice ones BUT no
pansies. The main attraction with the brazilians is: fast growth & ease
of care. If you just have to buy a Miltoniopsis keep it inside in A/C
till Nov. But have a shovel handy-- they do not like heat !!! Good
Luck, Bill

Miltonias orchids Lgge Orchid Photos 4 01-02-2024 10:30 PM
Warm growing Miltonias Bill Orchids 8 29-08-2005 10:28 PM
Miltoniopsis Vs. Miltonias William Hill Orchids 2 04-11-2004 08:10 PM
Miltoniopsis Vs. Miltonias William Hill Orchids 0 04-11-2004 07:25 PM
Miltoniopsis tbell Orchids 7 25-05-2003 05:56 AM