GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   I have a moth orchid (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/95716-i-have-moth-orchid.html)

boothbay 11-06-2005 07:14 PM

I have a moth orchid

I've had it now about a month. It came with 2 white 'flowers' and one
(?sheath). Is that what its called where future flowers eventually
bloom? Anyhow, I noticed today that one of the flowers seem to be
dwindling. Is this normal? If so, should I dead head it and give more
strength to the "sheath" to develop more quickly? Is that how it works?
I fertilized it with 15-30-15 1/4 strength.

Ray 12-06-2005 12:12 AM

Phalaenopsis don't have "sheaths." The produce buds on the inflorescence,
Depending on the age of the dwindling flower, it could be perfectly normal.
One also doesn't "dead-head" them. As the blossoms fade, go ahead and pluck
'em off - they'll fall off anyway.