Old 15-06-2005, 08:58 PM
bob

Default NEED HELP. PHALS & DENDS ENDED BLOOM

Both my Phals and Dends finished a fantastic bloom, but now the
questions: the Dends hve empty flower spikes and huge canes. There are
new canes growing at the base of the older canes. These new canes are
3" to 6" long The Phals have finished an abundendent blooom and the
stalks are now barren. The Phals have a number of Kikies with ariel
roots of sbout 4 to 6" long.
should I cut the Dend. canes at their base and should I remove the
Phal. flowerless spikes and how far back shoulod I cut if I am going to
remove the Phal. spikes?

Bob

Old 15-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Al

Cut the flower stalks off the old Dendrobium canes to about 1/2 an inch.
They will not rebloom or branch as a rule. BUT do *not* cut the old canes
off. Even old leafless and withered canes can send out new flower spikes
next blooming season. Remove old canes down the ground when you are sure
they are dead and no longer serve as food storage for the plant; old canes
can last years and years.

Cut the dead straw colored Phal spikes down to the base of the plant,
leaving half an inch of the old stalk. Phal flower spikes do not need to be
removed if they are still green. Sometimes they grow new buds from tips and
from nodes along the stem. When it turns brown, then cut it down.

oups.com...

Old 15-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Al

PS. If a Phal spike has kiekies growing on it, leave it alone for sure.
You can remove kiekies when they have about an inch to two inches of root
and a similar amount of leaf (enough leaf and root tissue to support itself
if removed), but you can also leave them on the plant as long as the old
flower stalk stays alive and supports them. I have plants that have kiekies
growing on the flower stalks of kiekies that are yet, growing on the flower
stalks of other kiekies. I have never seen any evidence that leaving
kiekies on the mother will weaken the mother plant.

"Al" wrote in message
Cut the flower stalks off the old Dendrobium canes to about 1/2 an inch.
They will not rebloom or branch as a rule. BUT do *not* cut the old canes
off. Even old leafless and withered canes can send out new flower spikes
next blooming season. Remove old canes down the ground when you are sure
they are dead and no longer serve as food storage for the plant; old canes
can last years and years.

Cut the dead straw colored Phal spikes down to the base of the plant,
leaving half an inch of the old stalk. Phal flower spikes do not need to
be removed if they are still green. Sometimes they grow new buds from
tips and from nodes along the stem. When it turns brown, then cut it
down.

oups.com...

Old 16-06-2005, 01:26 AM
bob

Thanks to eveyone tha took the time and effort to aide me. What is so
nice is that you all agreed on the same approach.
Again thanks for the hel
Bob