Old 23-06-2005, 01:29 PM
boothbay

Default Phal spike

New to the orchid world so I'm not familiar with the names, nor parts of
orchids, possibly except one...spike. Is this the part that the next
bud would appear? If so, mine just stays as small as it was 6 weeks ago.
The flowers are doing fine. I give it proper light, fertilizer and etc.
I read somewhere that orchids 'take off'in growth during the warmer,
summer months. ...so is there anything thing wrong with mine? Its
slightly 3/8ths of an inch long, and like I said, its been that way ever
since i bought it. BTW, its a Moth Orchid.
Old 24-06-2005, 02:51 AM
tbell

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 05:29:01 -0700, boothbay wrote
(in article ):

New to the orchid world so I'm not familiar with the names, nor parts of
orchids, possibly except one...spike. Is this the part that the next
bud would appear? If so, mine just stays as small as it was 6 weeks ago.
The flowers are doing fine. I give it proper light, fertilizer and etc.
I read somewhere that orchids 'take off'in growth during the warmer,
summer months. ...so is there anything thing wrong with mine? Its
slightly 3/8ths of an inch long, and like I said, its been that way ever
since i bought it. BTW, its a Moth Orchid.

If you already have a spike (or inflorescence, as some would insist)
covered with blooms, and there's been no growth in the 3/8" appendage you
describe, the latter may be an aerial root, which is common in Phalaenopsis,
or moth orchids. If it has a pointy green tip and a greyish covering below
the tip, that's very likely.
If you are able to post a picture of it on alt.binaries.pictures.orchids,
most of us follow both groups, and we'd be able to tell you more certainly.
Your orchid may not spike again or bloom for a year, which I suspect is
part of a plot to get us to buy more orchids!

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D70

to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
Phal spike stop growing? boochap Orchids 2 30-12-2003 04:32 PM
Phal spike flexibility David Ward Orchids 2 10-08-2003 05:32 PM
Cutting Phal. spike White Monkey Orchids 3 27-07-2003 04:12 PM