Old 28-06-2005, 02:14 AM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 23:11:02 -0500, wrote:

I've bought some phals. in the past that had bread ties on them but
instead of twisting them and leaving the ends sticking out, they were
wrapped around and around the spike. I like my dragonfly clips-put them
where you want them and don't touch. Later I had a phal. shoot out a
branch and I used a pipe cleaner to support it (and it's twelve
flowers). I REALLY think the comment about letting the spike grow out
a bit was a good idea. They get stronger-mine was 6 or 7 inches long
and I used two butterfly clips and a pipe cleaner before I was done-hey
whatever it takes........Burr

Burr,

As I think I mentioned in my first post, the spike was 15 cm. Now it
is 19 cm -- which is roughly 7 1/2 inches, so I'm not trying to spike
a very tiny new growth.

My problem is that plant is on a table a bit away from the window, and
the spike is bending toward the sunlight -- think a 90 degree angle
with a softer bend. I realize it will get stronger, I'd just prefer
that it strengthens up and grows a bit straighter.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I find the butterfly/dragonfly
clips a bit too strong. My phal seems to be sensitive and easily
wounded -- just like it's owner. g The second it touches anything, a
mark is left. Twist ties and garbage bag/bread bag ties scar it.
Propping it up against the wooden stake scars it, etc.

I like the pipe cleaner idea. I'll have to try that next.
--Vic

to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
Spike question Xi Wang Orchids 1 10-02-2005 03:09 AM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
question re cut orchid spike J Fortuna Orchids 1 08-06-2004 04:31 PM
phalaenopsis bud / spike question Tanya Orchids 2 22-09-2003 04:02 PM