Old 24-06-2005, 12:35 AM

Default spike support question

I still haven't gotten around to repotting my phal, but it is
definitely on the agenda for next week. I can't locate anybody who
sells ProMix HP -- I can only find the straight, ProMix. I guess
that's what I'll have to use.

Of course the minute I started posting about repotting I saw a new
spike starting. I was pretty sure it was a spike because it didn't
look at all like a new leaf, but I didn't want to be cocky and post
here that "Yippee! I've got a new spike.!"

Well I can now officially make that proclamation. The spike is about
15 cm tall. So now the question is what do I do with it? (And is it
safe to repot in this condition?)

The phal originally came with a small dragonfly clip, but it looks too
small to go around the stake and not put too much pressure on the new
growth, so I nixed that idea.

It also came with those generic green twist ties. Now I tried one of
those as loosely as I possibly could -- i.e. wrapped tightly around
the stake with the spike resting against a loose loop formed by the
loose ends, but I'm not happy with that approach. Where the spike
comes in contact with the twist tie, it leaves a mark (a scar) on the
plant -- and as I said, the tie isn't firmly or tightly around the
inflorescence. The spike is just brushing against it for support.

I'm ready to get out cotton balls and attach them to the twist ties,
but before I took that extreme (and extremely sad) step I thought I
would turn to the experts once again.
--Vic

Old 24-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Rob

da wrote:
I still haven't gotten around to repotting my phal, but it is
definitely on the agenda for next week. I can't locate anybody who
sells ProMix HP -- I can only find the straight, ProMix. I guess
that's what I'll have to use.

I think the main difference is more perlite. Get some perlite and add
in about 20-25% by volume. That should be about right (and looser than
Promix HP, too, probably).

I've been using a slightly different mix based on a soilless mix
containing some coconut coir. I think it is better than Promix, so far.
Recipe available on request.

Of course the minute I started posting about repotting I saw a new
spike starting. I was pretty sure it was a spike because it didn't
look at all like a new leaf, but I didn't want to be cocky and post
here that "Yippee! I've got a new spike.!"

Well I can now officially make that proclamation. The spike is about
15 cm tall. So now the question is what do I do with it? (And is it
safe to repot in this condition?)

If you are potting into a mud/peat mix, then sure. Actually probably ok
regardless, as long as the spike is new.

The phal originally came with a small dragonfly clip, but it looks too
small to go around the stake and not put too much pressure on the new
growth, so I nixed that idea.

It also came with those generic green twist ties. Now I tried one of
those as loosely as I possibly could -- i.e. wrapped tightly around
the stake with the spike resting against a loose loop formed by the
loose ends, but I'm not happy with that approach. Where the spike
comes in contact with the twist tie, it leaves a mark (a scar) on the
plant -- and as I said, the tie isn't firmly or tightly around the
inflorescence. The spike is just brushing against it for support.

I'm ready to get out cotton balls and attach them to the twist ties,
but before I took that extreme (and extremely sad) step I thought I
would turn to the experts once again.

If the spike is still small, I wouldn't stake it. Wait until it gets
more than a foot tall. Actually, I rarely stake phals except for
transport to shows. Most standard breeding will hold the spikes up
pretty well, and I'll only stake if I think the flowers are going to be
too heavy for the stem. But I'm not a phal grower, really. What do I know.

As for clips... You can get those butterfly and dragonfly clips in a
wide variety of garish colors and sizes. I don't like them because I'd
rather see the flowers. But, I came across something called (remarkably
enough) 'phal clips'. I love them, they are unobtrusive, easy to use,
and easy on the stems. I use them for my paphs. I have a few thousand
of the clips now, because I loved them so much. They require a certain
diameter stake to work well, so I bought those too...

http://www.chulaorchids.com/SitePage2.3.htm#2.31

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 24-06-2005, 04:32 PM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:23:14 -0400, Rob

I still haven't gotten around to repotting my phal, but it is
definitely on the agenda for next week. I can't locate anybody who
sells ProMix HP -- I can only find the straight, ProMix. I guess
that's what I'll have to use.

I think the main difference is more perlite. Get some perlite and add
in about 20-25% by volume. That should be about right (and looser than
Promix HP, too, probably).

I've been using a slightly different mix based on a soilless mix
containing some coconut coir. I think it is better than Promix, so far.
Recipe available on request.

Maybe I'll get the from you when/if I get my next plant (or for the
next repotting of this one). As I've said before, I really don't know
what I'm doing when it comes to orchids, so I figure my best approach
is to duplicate as closely as possible the mixture currently in the
pot. I mean it hasn't died yet (knock on wood, fingers crossed...).

[...]

The only reason I considered staking it, is because it is growing
toward the window/the light so it is developing a nice round bend.

As for clips... You can get those butterfly and dragonfly clips in a
wide variety of garish colors and sizes. I don't like them because I'd
rather see the flowers. But, I came across something called (remarkably
enough) 'phal clips'. I love them, they are unobtrusive, easy to use,
and easy on the stems. I use them for my paphs. I have a few thousand
of the clips now, because I loved them so much. They require a certain
diameter stake to work well, so I bought those too...

http://www.chulaorchids.com/SitePage2.3.htm#2.31

Those look quite impressive. Now I'll have to see if I can find a
nursery who will sell me a single one. g

Thanks Rob.
--Vic
Old 24-06-2005, 05:37 PM
?

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:23:14 -0400 in Rob wrote:
I think the main difference is more perlite. Get some perlite and add
in about 20-25% by volume. That should be about right (and looser than
Promix HP, too, probably).

I've been using a slightly different mix based on a soilless mix
containing some coconut coir. I think it is better than Promix, so far.
Recipe available on request.

Recipe requested.

Off topic, but has anyone tried the various "mud" mixes with african
violets?
--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil
Old 24-06-2005, 07:47 PM
bob

Rob;
I ran into the exact same situation as far as support withg my Phals. I
found that in a Dollar Store I could buy hair clips that are spring
loaded for about 10 for $1.00. They do no clamp down onto the
spike,simply encricle it and hold it to the support stake.
Bob

Old 24-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Rob

bob wrote:
Rob;
I ran into the exact same situation as far as support withg my Phals. I
found that in a Dollar Store I could buy hair clips that are spring
loaded for about 10 for $1.00. They do no clamp down onto the
spike,simply encricle it and hold it to the support stake.
Bob

Yep, and you can buy the exact same 'butterfly clips' that you see sold
for orchids at the dollar store, too. The use on plants is secondary to
the use on little girls' hair. My daughter loses them in large quantities.

Problem is that I find most of those clips annoying. I like to see the
flowers, not a plastic bug clinging to a spike. Some find it cute.
Never did anything for me...

Actually, a paper 'twist-tie' in a neutral color (dark green is good) is
a pretty unobtrusive solution. The plastic coated twist-ties I don't
like so much. You can cut off the ends to make it look professional.
Problem for me is that my hands don't work like they should (poor
genetics combined with poor career choice), so it is hard for me to
manipulate them. Any more than a dozen and my hands will hurt all night...

Old 25-06-2005, 02:19 AM
halgren

? wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:23:14 -0400 in Rob wrote:

I think the main difference is more perlite. Get some perlite and add
in about 20-25% by volume. That should be about right (and looser than
Promix HP, too, probably).

I've been using a slightly different mix based on a soilless mix
containing some coconut coir. I think it is better than Promix, so far.
Recipe available on request.

Recipe requested.

Off topic, but has anyone tried the various "mud" mixes with african
violets?

OK, here is the recipe as I got it from Dick Wells (Hilltop Orchids).
He said he grows everything (and a wide range of everything, although he
specializes in phalaenopsis) in it. Including cattleyas, paphs, and phrags.

20 parts Scotts Metro Mix with coir (I think it is MetroMix 360)
8 parts seedling bark
6 parts perlite
2 parts charcoal

When I make mine, I leave out the seedling bark (I don't have any, and I
don't like it in peat mixes, anyway). I made up the difference with
charcoal and perlite. So, my mix was (after reducing the fractions)

5 parts MetroMix
2.5 Parts perlite
1.5 parts charcoal

So far it is working well. The real test (around my neck of the woods,
at least) is winter... We shall see.

As to african violets, I don't really see why the mud wouldn't work.
PromixHP or the Hilltop mix. It is really just a soilless mix with a
bit more aeration in it. I've used Promix HP for all my houseplants for
years. I don't grow african violets though.
Old 25-06-2005, 05:11 AM

I've bought some phals. in the past that had bread ties on them but
instead of twisting them and leaving the ends sticking out, they were
wrapped around and around the spike. I like my dragonfly clips-put them
where you want them and don't touch. Later I had a phal. shoot out a
branch and I used a pipe cleaner to support it (and it's twelve
flowers). I REALLY think the comment about letting the spike grow out
a bit was a good idea. They get stronger-mine was 6 or 7 inches long
and I used two butterfly clips and a pipe cleaner before I was done-hey
whatever it takes........Burr

Old 26-06-2005, 05:07 AM
Steve

? wrote:
Off topic, but has anyone tried the various "mud" mixes with african
violets?

No, but I have one growing in semi-hydro culture that is blooming
nicely. :-)

Steve
Old 26-06-2005, 04:05 PM
?

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 00:07:12 -0400 in Steve wrote:
? wrote:
Off topic, but has anyone tried the various "mud" mixes with african
violets?

No, but I have one growing in semi-hydro culture that is blooming
nicely. :-)

I tried rooting a couple in semi-hydro, but just got mush for
stems.

Will probably try again later this summer.
--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil

to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
Spike question Xi Wang Orchids 1 10-02-2005 03:09 AM
spike spike spike J Fortuna Orchids 2 04-09-2004 06:43 PM
question re cut orchid spike J Fortuna Orchids 1 08-06-2004 04:31 PM
phalaenopsis bud / spike question Tanya Orchids 2 22-09-2003 04:02 PM