Old 04-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks Sue, for those ideas.

Diana

Old 05-07-2005, 03:13 AM
V_coerulea

I use borax or boric acid traps that work well for a number of insects. But
do keep it out of your plants. Borax is used as a non-selective herbicide
and a fungicide. Your orchid may not be sensitive to the level or
concentration of boron you are using, but do you want to risk it? For more
info on borax toxicity, see
http://infoventures.com/e-hlth/pestcide/borax.html
Gary

"Alan" wrote in message
. ..
I keep my plants outside in a screened in area. I have some very small ants
that have taken up residence in my phals. They can be seen around the main
stem and hang out around the top center where the new leaf would come.
Should I be concerned?
Any advice appreciated.
Alan

Old 14-07-2005, 05:15 AM
profpam

Diane,

If your cat doesn't lick the orchids; perhaps use Schultz with
Chrysanthemum pyrethenes. This kills ants instantaneously. Yes, I
realize that pyrethenes are overdone and may be harmful; however, they
are also a pure substance from flowers themselves and when sprayed
directly on ants works like magic. If not overdone, they are beneficial.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

Diana Kulaga wrote:

Bob & Sue, I hesitate to use the borax cure because our cat goes out into
the lanai.

The guy from Terminix is the one who identified the type of ant they are. He
also told me they apparently "jumped" I-95 and are now east of it, where we
are. All his customers have 'em. I mean, we're in FL; there are going to be
ants. But I've never seen it this bad, and now I'm getting a few in the
house, which I cannot abide. If Terminix can't keep them under control (we
also have Chemlawn do the yard), then I'll find a company which can. Enough,
already.

How about a DE barrier on the outside perimeter? It seems like the rains we
get would just wash it away. Maybe the candle wax/borax idea, but outside,
would be better.

Diana

Old 15-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Diana Kulaga

Thanks for the ideas. The cat doesn't bother the orchids, apart from rubbing
up against the big ones from time to time. I'd forgotten about hot pepper
spray. Also, I've got a bottle of orange guard in the garage. That should
help.

Diana

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 04:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 10:20 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM