Old 02-07-2005, 01:58 AM
Gail

Default another newbie question....

I purchased a dendrobium orchid which is in a small log of wood (literally)
in a plastic pot. I have been thoroughly watering it once weekly (and
fertilizing weakly). All of my other orchids are in bark. Should I be
watering more frequently and is this a common way for them to be planted?
Thanks in advance.
Gail

Old 02-07-2005, 07:54 PM
boothbay

Gail wrote:
I purchased a dendrobium orchid which is in a small log of wood (literally)
in a plastic pot. I have been thoroughly watering it once weekly (and
fertilizing weakly). All of my other orchids are in bark. Should I be
watering more frequently and is this a common way for them to be planted?
Thanks in advance.
Gail

I just bought the same plant at 50% off at Loews...a bargain, I thought,
till I did some research on it, and its very sensitive to temperatures.
It prefers 55-60 degrees...cool temperatures. So unless u can provide
that type of environment, it may not last long. Where is one going to
get that type of reading ( other than a possible greenhouse )in the
middle of summer? No wonder it was half price sale.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Diana Kulaga

Gail & Booth,

Not all Dends are created equal. All my Dends, for example, are warm growers
and drop their leaves if it gets too cool. Neither of you mention what type
of Dend you have. In general, (very general), Dends like well draining
medium and to dry out between waterings. Those canes are their pseudobulbs,
and hold moisture and nutrients.

Of course, an orchid that is in a moisture retaining medium such as bark
will need less water than one growing on a log, but don't go crazy and over
water.

Diana

Old 02-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Kenni Judd

I suspect it's not really wood, but a chunk of coconut. If so, it's most
probably from Kerry's Bromeliads in Homestead and won't need [or even like]
cool temps.

It's also fairly moisture-retentive, unlike a wood mount. Kenni

nk.net...