Old 09-07-2005, 03:07 PM
J Fortuna

Default Dtps not reblooming -- wrong medium?

I have a Dtps Talitha's Gem that believes that it is a leafy plant.

I actually have two plants that are sister plants of one another, and one of
them reblooms like clockwork regularly (already spiking for the third time
since June 2003, when I got it), while the other one just puts out more and
more leaves -- it's got 18 healthy leaves right now, and it looks more like
one of those tall vanda plants than like a Dtps, but the last time it
bloomed was in December 2003 (ok, I know that that's not that long ago, but
it seems like it compared to the other one). I keep wondering whether there
is anything that I can do to persuade this plant, that no, growing new
leaves is not enough.

As far as I can tell I am treating the two sister plants very much alike.
The only difference is that the one that does rebloom regularly is potted in
bark in a plastic pot, whereas the one that fancies itself a leafy plant has
been repotted into sphagnum moss and a clay pot. Al (from whom I bought both
of these plants) told me that these Dtps in his experience don't like
growing in moss, but I (being a great fan of moss) repotted one of them into
moss nonetheless. I did not repot the other one at all yet. This makes me
wonder whether the lack of reflowering could be due to the wrong medium? But
the plant is healthy otherwise, so I don't know. Or could it be that the
disturbance caused by repotting it is what caused it to not flower, when its
season came? In that case, repotting it back into bark might not be a good
idea, right? Or am I just being too impatient and shouldn't be wondering
about the plant not reflowering since December 2003 if that's an acceptable
delay that may not be due to anything in particular?

Joanna (who has been spoiled by almost all of her plants reflowering at
least once a year or even more frequently)

Old 09-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Ray

I doubt that repotting 19 months ago would have any impact on its flowering
now.

I don't know that I'd say that the medium, itself, is the cause, but it may
be that the watering and feeding you're doing don't work as well with the
moss as for the other medium.

Or... it could just be that the specific plant is less prone to flowering.
Some seemingly minor genetic differences can have significant impacts on
such things.

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
[...]

Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime - Med.JPG [01/27] Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime Salty Thumb Gardening 0 15-04-2004 02:32 AM
Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime - Med.JPG [01/27] Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime Janice Gardening 0 15-04-2004 01:02 AM
Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime - Med.JPG [01/27] Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime Lynne Gardening 0 14-04-2004 04:32 PM
reblooming iris grapc Gardening 0 16-05-2003 02:44 AM
Reblooming Irises have not started to grow - are they dead? :( BillC Gardening 5 26-04-2003 09:20 PM