Old 14-07-2005, 09:26 PM
jadel

Default US sources for Australian terrestrial orchids?

Does anyone know of a US nursery or orchid grower selling Australian
terrestrial orchids? Specifically, I'm interested in Pterostylis and
Diuris orchids.

Many years ago I grew -Pterostylis nutans- and would like to try again.
( I got the Ptero. nutans from a private individual who is no longer
distributing them)

J. Del Col

Old 15-07-2005, 04:43 AM
K Barrett

OK, I don't admit that I'm right in this. As a matter of fact I may be
really wrong, but there was a vendor at the SBOE sale earlier this month
that had some sort of aussie terrestrial for sale. I remember thinking that
was unusual, then I got distracted and forgot all about it. Anyway - long
story short - I think it was Down Under Native Orchids. Maybe you can find
them online somewhere. I have no idea if they were in country just for the
sale or if they have a US base...but heck, there's a lead.

K Barrett

oups.com...

Old 15-07-2005, 04:49 AM
Kye

Or if you get really stuck, as an Aussie, I can probably track you down some
flasks for export.

Kye.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
OK, I don't admit that I'm right in this. As a matter of fact I may be
really wrong, but there was a vendor at the SBOE sale earlier this month
that had some sort of aussie terrestrial for sale. I remember thinking
that
was unusual, then I got distracted and forgot all about it. Anyway - long
story short - I think it was Down Under Native Orchids. Maybe you can
find
them online somewhere. I have no idea if they were in country just for
the
sale or if they have a US base...but heck, there's a lead.

K Barrett

oups.com...

Old 15-07-2005, 05:25 AM
Dave Gillingham

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:43:54 -0700, "K Barrett" wrote:

OK, I don't admit that I'm right in this. As a matter of fact I may be
really wrong, but there was a vendor at the SBOE sale earlier this month
that had some sort of aussie terrestrial for sale. I remember thinking that
was unusual, then I got distracted and forgot all about it. Anyway - long
story short - I think it was Down Under Native Orchids. Maybe you can find
them online somewhere. I have no idea if they were in country just for the
sale or if they have a US base...but heck, there's a lead.

Website is http://www.duno.com.au/

I believe that some organisation in Victoria (that's the Aussie state) keeps a tuber bank for sale purposes. I have
this vague recollection it might have been the Victorian Orchid Society. But, even if it wasn't them, they should be
able to point you in the right direction. Only thing is, I have no idea what the quarantine restrictions may be on such
material.

K Barrett

roups.com...

Old 15-07-2005, 03:25 PM
K Barrett

Yeah, that's the trouble: getting this stuff shipped internationally.
CITES, Phyto or *whatever* paperwork can be a pain to get. A friend of mine
had no trouble getting import export permits online from the US federal
gov't. I tried it and my paperwork got lost in the shuffle, but I never
really pursued it, either.

The rumor is that Aussie natives (terrestrials) don't survive long in
captivity. That there's some sort of mycorhizae that need to associate with
these in order to have them florish. I have no input on that, but Ron
Parsons (who travels frequently to OZ on speaking tours) says that they'll
live for a few years and then that's it. Personally I don't think anyone
has gotten the bug to really try it. Work with them and make a go of it. I
know there are some from the greater Perth area that woudl work well in my
yard because its all sand (like Perth's soil)

OK, enough from me.

K Barrett

wrote:

[...]

roups.com...

----

Old 15-07-2005, 03:30 PM
K Barrett

And a second thought, Pterostylis are available here... We've awarded a few
at the pac Central region. I'd start at the species vendors like Andy's
orchids and J&L or just a google search for the Pterostylis species you
want. Also, I can't imagine that DUNO wouldcome all the way to the States
for only one show. I'd think they'd have a tour of some sort arranged, so
maybe an email to them to find out where their next show is or who bought
their unsold plants (for why ship them home again?) might be worth your
while.

K Barrett

"K Barrett" wrote in message
OK, I don't admit that I'm right in this. As a matter of fact I may be
really wrong, but there was a vendor at the SBOE sale earlier this month
that had some sort of aussie terrestrial for sale. I remember thinking
that
was unusual, then I got distracted and forgot all about it. Anyway -

long
story short - I think it was Down Under Native Orchids. Maybe you can
find
them online somewhere. I have no idea if they were in country just for
the
sale or if they have a US base...but heck, there's a lead.

K Barrett

oups.com...

Old 15-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Rob

K Barrett wrote:
And a second thought, Pterostylis are available here... We've awarded a few
at the pac Central region. I'd start at the species vendors like Andy's
orchids and J&L or just a google search for the Pterostylis species you
want. Also, I can't imagine that DUNO wouldcome all the way to the States
for only one show. I'd think they'd have a tour of some sort arranged, so
maybe an email to them to find out where their next show is or who bought
their unsold plants (for why ship them home again?) might be worth your
while.

Could also try Hoosier Orchids. http://www.hoosierorchid.com

They have an obscene number of species. Most of which probably aren't
listed. You could e-mail them or give them a call.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 15-07-2005, 03:57 PM

K Barrett wrote:
And a second thought, Pterostylis are available here... We've awarded a few
at the pac Central region. I'd start at the species vendors like Andy's
orchids and J&L or just a google search for the Pterostylis species you
want.

About 8 years ago, Andy's orchids offered Pterostylis curta and P.
nutans. I bought their P. curta. Unfortunately, this Spring I left
them a bit too moist, and they have sprouted prematurely. I'm not sure
if they will survive the summer heat in active growth, as they usually
grow in winter when my greenhouse is significantly cooler.

Some place called Burnt Bridge Creek Nursery offered a variety of
Aussie Terrestials a couple of years ago, but they seem to have
vanished from the web.

I imported dormant tubers from Nesbitt's in Australia once, but the
plants did not survive the shock of changing the seasons. A flask
might be better, becuase you could wait and crack it open in Autumn.

Nick

Old 15-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Eric Hunt

Andy's Orchids always has Pterostylis available and sometimes Corybas.

www.andysorchids.com

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

oups.com...

Old 15-07-2005, 07:38 PM
jadel

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I have sent an enquiry to Andy's.

I notice Andy's is selling --Disa tripetaloides--. Maybe I'll get one
of those as well.

J. Del Col

Old 16-07-2005, 09:15 AM
Dave Gillingham

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:25:54 -0700, "K Barrett" wrote:

Yeah, that's the trouble: getting this stuff shipped internationally.
CITES, Phyto or *whatever* paperwork can be a pain to get. A friend of mine
had no trouble getting import export permits online from the US federal
gov't. I tried it and my paperwork got lost in the shuffle, but I never
really pursued it, either.

The rumor is that Aussie natives (terrestrials) don't survive long in
captivity. That there's some sort of mycorhizae that need to associate with
these in order to have them florish. I have no input on that, but Ron

I'm not really into terrestrials, so I'm not sure. But, from the discussions about them in our society, that could well
be a very important point. One successful grower stated that, when repotting, you should always mix in a little of your
old medium, to "seed" the mycorrhizae in the new medium. Can't you imagine the quarantine officials if you tried to
bring in a cupful of soil?

Parsons (who travels frequently to OZ on speaking tours) says that they'll
live for a few years and then that's it. Personally I don't think anyone
has gotten the bug to really try it. Work with them and make a go of it. I
know there are some from the greater Perth area that woudl work well in my
yard because its all sand (like Perth's soil)

OK, enough from me.

K Barrett
.. .

wrote:

[...]

roups.com...

Old 16-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Andrew

The Victorian group of the Australasian Native Orchid Society is the
organisation Dave's talking about. Unfortunately we can only distribute
tubers to members within Australia. We have enough problems getting
tubers through interstate customs so a sending them across
international borders is not feasible.

If none of the US sources the others have mentioned pan out, Kevin
Western (in South Australia) does sell flasks of terrestrials.
Email/phone him for a list of available speices. His contact details
are on his website. http://www.arcomnet.net.au/~western/index.html
I find Pterostylis deflask very easily. mycorrhizal association, I
deflask into a relatively sterile mix of perlite and commercial potting
mix so, unless the orchids are forming associations with Legionella, I
don't believe that not having the correct fungi in you potting mix will
be a problem with prolific growers, such as Pterostylis nutans. Diuris
can be a little more touchy. Whether this is due to fungi or just a
general dislike of deflasking I don't know.

Andrew

Old 18-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Bob Walsh

J.

I here is a link regarding DUNO. I suspect they may have plants for sale but
do not know. Also don't know how close you are to the event, but you might
make a contact within the society for purchasing.

Orchid society welcomes guests from down under
Lompoc Record - Lompoc,CA,USA
7/17/05 The Coastal Valley Orchid Society welcomes Brian and Phena Gerhard,
of Down Under Native Orchids, to their monthly meeting at 7 pm Tuesday, July
19, in ...

oups.com...