Old 08-03-2003, 09:33 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Challenge for the Group

Okay, all you creative people, see what you think. Our local society's show
and sale is next weekend. I'm doing a tabletop display. The theme of the
show is "The Wonder of Orchids".

What would be a good tie-in to that theme? I'm usually fairly ingenious,
but I'm stuck on white rabbits, a queen of hearts, tarts, and a looking
glass. ;oD

Any ideas?

Diana

Old 08-03-2003, 10:57 PM
Tracey

What would be a good tie-in to that theme?

Well, my first thought would be a play on words. Instead
of 'The Wonder', how about your display be 'The Wander',
with orchids from various countries all along a winding
path?

Tracey

Old 09-03-2003, 12:34 AM
Mick Fournier

I would do "It's a Wonderful day in the neighborhood..."

I would have a croaked Mr Rogers doll laid out in a little coffin made of
orchid flowers plucked from the spikes... or maybe you could have him laid
out on top a bed of 1000 Phalaenopsis petals (and sepals) with his theme
song playing over and over in the background off a little cassette player.

Mick

Old 09-03-2003, 01:44 AM
DGiunti

In article k.net, "Diana
Kulaga" writes:

Okay, all you creative people, see what you think. Our local society's show
and sale is next weekend. I'm doing a tabletop display. The theme of the
show is "The Wonder of Orchids".

What would be a good tie-in to that theme? I'm usually fairly ingenious,
but I'm stuck on white rabbits, a queen of hearts, tarts, and a looking
glass. ;oD

Any ideas?

Whatever you do, stay away from that cook and her pepper!

David Giunti email: unity
What is the question? Gertrude Stein's last words
No one mouth is big enough to utter the whole thing. Alan Watts

On Display in the UK
http://www.web-gallery.co.uk
Old 09-03-2003, 03:20 AM
Elpaninaro

Okay, all you creative people, see what you think. Our local society's show
and sale is next weekend. I'm doing a tabletop display. The theme of the
show is "The Wonder of Orchids".

I think too many exhibits are too "busy"- meaning they have too much in them to
really set the plants off.

Natural themes can be very well done, but they are just something everyone
does- and most of the time not nearly as ingenious as they could be. I rarely
see more than 3-4 non "natural" scenes at a show, and even given their common
presence they rarely attempt to be original.

Thus, what I would suggest is aim for a very simple and ethereal theme
suggesting "wonder."

We often look at clouds and wonder, and clouds happen to be a great setting to
show off orchids (being solid white) and inexpensive to reproduce.

This will work especially well if you have some very intensely colored flowers
to show off- especially reds or dark purples.

Cotton batting can be formed into clouds and I would add a generous dose of
silver glitter to add a bit of sparkle and intrigue.

For a floor exhibit, 2-3 foot tall plastic grecian columns could come up from a
floor of batting with bits of cotton batting hanging from them. Better still,
use wire plant stands with only a single leg in the center and cover those with
the batting and the plants will look as though they are being hoisted by cloud
"hands."

For a tabletop, easier still. Just the usual upside down pots to offer some
various height levels for plants if needed.

The trick is the backdrop. It would be tough to really make this stunning with
a blue sky ground unless you have a really professional looking horizon job
suggesting depth. So I would say just use the cotton batting to create a
textured backdrop against plywood or foam core. If you really got a thick
texture going, it could even be made to look like a giant cloud head.

And the best part is that you have nothing but white with a subtle glitter
sheen to offset your plants. Very dramatic and certainly out of the ordinary!

Then spotlights on the plants as you are able, and you are set.

Hope this inspires a direction for ya!

Take care,

Tom.

Old 09-03-2003, 03:45 PM
sneff

Mick,

I do believe Werner Herzog did this in one of his student films, with Klaus
Kinski as Mr Rogers.

It was stunning in its florid metaphor though, so perhaps a revisit is now
due?

sneff

. ..

Old 09-03-2003, 04:22 PM
Mick Fournier

Sneff,

Darn, I thought I was being quite avante garde with my "Wonderful
Neighborhood" orchid homage to good old dead Mr Rogers.

I guess it is true when they say, "Werner is a Wonder".

I suppose I could go with my second idea instead... I would hollow 100
loaves of Wonder Bread and fill them with orchid flowers (and a little
Spanish moss). During the show I would stash them in a large brown bag then
sneak around the auditorium throwing them high up in the air to land on
people's heads like they just fell magically out of the sky. It would be
like the eighth Wonder Bread of the world.

Mick

Old 09-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Susan Erickson

On Sat, 08 Mar 2003 21:30:14 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Okay, all you creative people, see what you think. Our local society's show
and sale is next weekend. I'm doing a tabletop display. The theme of the
show is "The Wonder of Orchids".

What would be a good tie-in to that theme? I'm usually fairly ingenious,
but I'm stuck on white rabbits, a queen of hearts, tarts, and a looking
glass. ;oD

Any ideas?

Diana

How about an educational exhibit and the variety of locals and
growing conditions. Or if you have related plants... the fact
that this is "Pa" and these 3 - 4 are all related to "Pa" or Both
Parents and this is the offspring. It is a wonder that
hybridizers can combine some of these things. Even pictures of
the parents would work for this type of display.

SuE
Old 09-03-2003, 07:10 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

How about "you'll WONDER where all your money went!"

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

hlink.net...

Old 09-03-2003, 08:09 PM
Mick Fournier

Ray,

Hmmm... let us all take a quiet moment and ponder the Wonder of that orchid
truism.

Mick
-----------------------------

Old 10-03-2003, 03:09 AM
Diana Kulaga

First of all, no "wonder" I missed you guys while I was out of this ng. It
helps to have virtual people who are at least as insane as I am.

Second, the Mr. Rogers idea has merit. It reminds me of the time my husband
and his pals abducted the leprechaun, took pictures of it in a coffin, and
asked for ransom just before St. Patrick's Day. They got paid off in green
beer by a bar owner in Hollywood FL (since dearly departed) who ostensibly
belonged to the IRA. For the record, they also abducted a full sized stuffed
bull. Don't ask.

Third, while I won't destroy any kids who might be present with visages of
Mr. Rogers, why not the "neighborhood"?

Mick, you're the bomb.........

Diana

Old 10-03-2003, 03:09 AM
Diana Kulaga

Tom, those are great ideas. I think I'll adopt and adapt, given the plants
I have on hand (ingrates, ingrates, but that was another post). I'm tired
of seeing everyone else's live moss and fake water, though they seem to win
the ribbons. Let's see if another slant will sway our judges!

Diana

Old 10-03-2003, 03:09 AM
Diana Kulaga

Oh, yes! What a great idea! I could incorporate that easily. Thanks for
helping me get the creative stuff moving. So glad to be rid of the "Mad
Hatter"!

Diana

Old 10-03-2003, 03:09 AM
Mick Fournier

Diana,

I am glad to do my part on RGO.

Mick

PS, the people who produced the French movie "Amalie" stole your leprechaun
idea. Amalie secretly abducted her Dad's gnome from the front yard and sent
the gnome all over the world (virtually). The kidnapper mailed photos of
the gnome standing by foreign national monuments back to her father (who was
in the dark over ruse)... the photos finally pried her father off his couch
and out into the wild world for a long much-needed vacation.

Ka-boom!!!