GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/9913-cold-tolerance-oncidium-sharry-baby.html)

Wink 09-03-2003 08:21 PM

Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby

Hi:

I live in Canada & just started growing orchids in my unheated
sunroom. The winter temperature dips to about 50 deg F. So far I
have just started with some cool growers such as zygo's & cymbidiums.
I have been reading with fascination about Sharry Baby and wonder if
my environment can allow me to have one ...

Does anyone have experience on how cold tolerant this baby is? I have
had conflicting information on whether oncidium is a cool or
intermediate or warm grower in my reading...

Thanks a bunch!

Wink

Susan Erickson 09-03-2003 11:10 PM

Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby

On 9 Mar 2003 11:15:40 -0800, (Wink)
wrote:

Hi:

I live in Canada & just started growing orchids in my unheated
sunroom. The winter temperature dips to about 50 deg F. So far I
have just started with some cool growers such as zygo's & cymbidiums.
I have been reading with fascination about Sharry Baby and wonder if
my environment can allow me to have one ...

Does anyone have experience on how cold tolerant this baby is? I have
had conflicting information on whether oncidium is a cool or
intermediate or warm grower in my reading...

Thanks a bunch!

Wink

We grow a wide variety of plants. Never (almost never) heat at
night above 55. Now given that the thermostat says it is cold
enough to need heat.. I do not know how cold it gets. John says
he has seen 53 on the read out. So we are getting down there.
If you want to keep it above that. I would suggest you do some
things to create passive heat gain during the day and put the
softest plants closest to that. Milk bottles filled with water,
painted black are one easy way to help up the night temperature.

Good Luck

SuE

WNeptune 10-03-2003 02:44 AM

Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby

I live in Canada & just started growing orchids in my unheated
sunroom. The winter temperature dips to about 50 deg F. So far I
have just started with some cool growers such as zygo's & cymbidiums.
I have been reading with fascination about Sharry Baby and wonder if
my environment can allow me to have one ...

I run two temperatures in my greenhouse-warm and cool. For years I ran the cool
house at 48F at night, and 55F in the day; for the past two years I have run
the house at 45F and 55F, and have seen no difference for the plants in this
house-Onc Sharry Baby is one of the onc in this house.

Wink 10-03-2003 09:11 AM

Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby

Thank you very much, Susan & WNeptune. Now I can happily spend more
money :-) I have been worrying about the winter low of my potential
"orchid room". A low of 50F seems too cold for most orchids in the
books I read (I only caught the orchid bug 3 months ago when I
successfully bloomed my cymbidium sinensis!) Perhaps WNeptune can
tell me some of the types you grow in your "cool room"? How many
months a year does your cool room have a winter low of 45 - 50F? This
low temperature will probably affect the bloom time of some of the
winter blooming orchids. I found that I have to bring the cymbidium
sinensis into the house once I see the spike - I just can't wait to
see the flowers!

Wink

WNeptune 10-03-2003 03:20 PM

Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby

Perhaps WNeptune can
tell me some of the types you grow in your "cool room"? How many
months a year does your cool room have a winter low of 45 - 50F? This
low temperature will probably affect the bloom time of some of the
winter blooming orchids. I found that I have to bring the cymbidium
sinensis into the house once I see the spike - I just can't wait to
see the flowers!

Wink

Most of the plants I have in the cool house are Australian natives, many of
which will grow down to 34F. I also have Lycastes (about 35), a LARGE
Dendrochilum formosanum, several L anceps, Den nobiles, several Sarcochilus,
Sarcoglottis, and a number of Onc intergenerics. I wouldn't want you to think
these just limp along-most of these have received AOS awards, including
cultural awards.
I would guess the temperature in this room is at 45F at night for about 4-5
months of the year.
Currently I do not have any cymbidiums, but I would not hesitate to have
standards, and miniatures in this room. I have had no experience with the
Chinese cymbidiums.

Wink 10-03-2003 08:34 PM

Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby

Most of the plants I have in the cool house are Australian natives, many of
which will grow down to 34F. I also have Lycastes (about 35), a LARGE
Dendrochilum formosanum, several L anceps, Den nobiles, several Sarcochilus,
Sarcoglottis, and a number of Onc intergenerics. I wouldn't want you to think
these just limp along-most of these have received AOS awards, including
cultural awards.
I would guess the temperature in this room is at 45F at night for about 4-5
months of the year.
Currently I do not have any cymbidiums, but I would not hesitate to have
standards, and miniatures in this room. I have had no experience with the
Chinese cymbidiums.

AOS awards ... certainly encouraging for a newbie! Unfortunately my
sunroom doesn't really have much "sun". Thus Lycastes are probably
out. I have in my mind odontoglossum, Miltonia, and hybrids with them
as parents such as Wilsonara, MacLellanara. Now that I know some
plants listed in the "intermediate" range can tolerate this degree of
night coolness, I may be encouraged to try a few Cattleya hybrids and
oncidiums too. Still have to see how "hot" my cold sunroom is during
the summer months.

Wink 10-03-2003 08:44 PM

Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby

Oops, after writing the last message, I did a search on Lycastes. I
thought they are high light plants - apparently not. Another possible
orchid on my list for my sunroom without much sun ...

Wink

Vespaman 10-03-2003 10:57 PM

Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby

i have an unheated/uncooled green house here in so cal

my min /max thermometer thing tells me it is 42-44 at night and today the
high inside me gh is 88-90 i have catts, ondonts, oncidium, epi's, blc's,
brassavolla's, milt's, vanda's, den's and reed's and i have no damage
although i do notice that i bloom a little latter in the season than most in
a controlled greenhouse, but i also notice that some of my plants will bloom
twice off of different leads instead of just once a year, i think it might
be because of the hot temps in the gh i get more growth "jmho" i also take
all my plants into the garage when the temps get below 40 i have lost alot
of phal's at 38 so they stay in my office or in my house untill i stays at
50-55 all the time, i have lost too many of them to fool around and hope
they make it

oh and yes i have a sherry baby that puts up with the temps and seems to
allways put out 2 leads at a time

i also fert every time i water at 100% strength with 20-20-20after i see
spikes and with 10-30-10 during growth and i flush with "clean tap water "
once a month

jim

i dont grow by the book, but hey it seems to be working and when they dont
grow i throw the book at them and then i dont grow those type any more

WNeptune 11-03-2003 12:56 AM

Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby

Oops, after writing the last message, I did a search on Lycastes. I
thought they are high light plants - apparently not. Another possible
orchid on my list for my sunroom without much sun ...

Wink

Most growers do not grow Lycastes as high light plants, however, I grow these
with full east sun during spring, summer, and fall, and as much light as I can
give during winter. I believe these do better with as much light as you can
give, short of burning.
I put these outside s soon as there is no more frost and they remain outside
until sometime in Oct.

Liam 11-03-2003 09:40 AM

Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby

Thanks for sharing w/ us the cold temperature tolerance of Phals. I
have been wondering about this for a long time. I was just curious
would you say it would be safe for them in the 40-45 F zone or is that
pushing it? Or how about 45-50F?

Ray @ First Rays Orchids 11-03-2003 11:32 AM

Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby

While phals can tolerate such temperatures, I believe you'll see better
growth if they stay warmer. Mine do see mid- to upper 40's on rare occasion
in the Fall when I'm trying to induce spiking, but I try to keep that above
50, too, as it's the day-night temperature difference that seems to be the
key, rather than the absolute low.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

om...

"

Vespaman 11-03-2003 09:35 PM

Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby

just my experiance that below 50 for extended periods of time and you can
lose your phals.

when i mean extended i am talking about 3-5 days of below 50 night temps

a day here or a day there below 50 i dont worry but if you get 3,4,5,6 days
you can bet you will lose something. i have a very large ascd. that was out
in the gh for a couple of weeks and it was getting down to 40 at night so i
thought i should bring it in and sure enough about a week later it droped
all of its leaves eccept 1 and the new growth.. whew!!!!!!

it had gotten cold damage and it took a week or so for it to appear

it had big thick leaves as long as your arm and i thought it would be more
cold tolerant then some of my small phal's but i was wrong it just took a
little longer for the damage to show

so i lost 1 and saved one by the skin of my teeth this year

remember Knowledge cost's......in this case it was the price of a nice phal.

jim

om...

Liam 13-03-2003 01:33 AM

Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby

thanks Ray and thanks Vespaman. And I am sorry to hear of your sad
experience w the vanda Vespaman.

From your observations what's the length of time do you think Phals
can bear in the low 50's then. Would you say anywhere from 2 to 3
months of exposure for it be okay. I want to see i can keep them
outdoor for an extra 2 months longer. I have enclosed a temp chart
below in my area to see what you think of it.

Jan Feb Mar Apr May June July Aug Sept Oct Nov
Dec
High Temperature ( F ) 67 68 68 71 73 77 83 84 82 78 72
67
Low Temperature ( F ) 45 47 49 52 56 60 63 65 63 58 50
45

"Vespaman" wrote in message ...
[...]

om...