Old 09-03-2003, 07:45 PM
Ted Byers

Default Very happy catt

I repotted one of my catts today, and learned that it must be very
happy. It has ten pseudobulbs, of which the youngest and the third
youngest are putting out new pseudobulbs, and the youngest is making
four new roots. And there was a very large amount of healthy root
mass.

The only disappointment on this is that it has a sheath on the
youngest pseudobulb, that is half the length of the one that just
produced a flower, which has remained thin and turned brown. I assume
this is what I'd see if a catt is suffering bud blast. Did I do
something wrong, or might it have lost the new inflorescence because
of winter dryness?

This beauty is sitting on the sill of a south facing window.

It is a Lc. Stephen O. Fouraker 'Elmhurst' HCC/AOS (so says its tag).
I have had it since the beginning of November, and it bloomed just
before Christmas.

Cheers,

Ted
Old 10-03-2003, 01:44 AM
SBF

You'll often find catts, especially hybrids doing weird things. Some bloom
with a green sheath, a brown sheath, or no sheath at all. Bearing this in
mind, the same plant could bloom from a green sheath in one flowering and a
brown sheath in the next. This isn't always the case. I wouldn't worry about
it too much. Oftentimes smaller (youngish) plants will put up sheaths that
never flower. As far as bud blast, you kinda haveta have a bud for this too
happen. Again, I wouldn't worry too much.

om...

Old 10-03-2003, 05:33 PM
Karen

Ted Byers wrote:
[...]

Congrats on the new pbulbs.... it makes the struggles of this past
winter a bit easier to deal with I hope.
Karen

Old 10-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Kenni Judd

As long as the sheath is dry, it's generally best to leave it alone. If it
looks at all wet or mushy, you may want to open it. If you decide to give
that a try, cut off the tip of the sheath so that you can get a fingernail
between the 2 sides and VERY GENTLY, being careful to keep equal pressure on
both sides, peel them apart. I've salvaged a number of buds that way, but
I've also broken off more than I care to remember ...

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
om...

Old 12-03-2003, 02:22 AM
Ted Byers

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message .. .
As long as the sheath is dry, it's generally best to leave it alone. If it
looks at all wet or mushy, you may want to open it. If you decide to give
that a try, cut off the tip of the sheath so that you can get a fingernail
between the 2 sides and VERY GENTLY, being careful to keep equal pressure on
both sides, peel them apart. I've salvaged a number of buds that way, but
I've also broken off more than I care to remember ...

Good growing,

Thanks Kenni

It is dry, so I will leave it alone.

Thanks

Ted

Old 12-03-2003, 02:22 AM
Ted Byers

Karen wrote in message ...
Ted Byers wrote:
[...]

Thanks Karen,

Yes, it does make the struggles of this winter easier to deal with.
Such struggles will be a thing of the past once I get my growth
chambers built later this summer.

Cheers,

Ted
Old 12-03-2003, 02:34 AM
Ted Byers

"SBF" wrote in message ...
You'll often find catts, especially hybrids doing weird things. Some bloom
with a green sheath, a brown sheath, or no sheath at all. Bearing this in
mind, the same plant could bloom from a green sheath in one flowering and a
brown sheath in the next. This isn't always the case. I wouldn't worry about
it too much. Oftentimes smaller (youngish) plants will put up sheaths that
never flower. As far as bud blast, you kinda haveta have a bud for this too
happen. Again, I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks, I'll not worry as long as the new pseudobulbs keep growing.

I would have thought that there would be a bud inside the sheath, even
if it was too small to detect without trashing the sheath.

Cheers,

Ted