Old 13-08-2005, 04:16 AM

Default Where Len?

Len:

Hope you're still on the land and thriving.

biodyne
Old 13-08-2005, 11:27 PM

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 04:00:51 +1000, gardenlen
wrote:

yes still here biodyne,

and how are you?

Doing well. Have made great advances with my market mini-farm. I will
post pix before too long so you can see what I've been up to - lots of
cow manure, quarry rock dusts and rotted sileage has been put onto
beds tilled and hilled with some amazing equipment. I now have 3
Yeomans plows soon to be mounted on a straight single toolbar for
further bed tilthing.

Hope you and Bev have decided to remain country-dwellers.
Is your website (one of the best) still up?

Cheers to Pete & worms and Janet & B&B.

I see alt.pc is getting more widespread use by nonspammrs. Maybe we
can get some good discussion going.

biodyne
Old 14-08-2005, 05:58 PM

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:28:51 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

Until your message to len, I hadn't seen any posts at all here, for a
long time

Well, its the only permaculture newsgroup. May as well use it.

Speaking of b&b's, have you considered growing food for the
meals you serve on the property? Often this is a good way to
encourage customers who will see garden tours as ecotourism,
especially if you have diverse activities, i.e. goats, chickens, maybe
pigs. Good opportunity to make it a demo permaculture site.
Graham Burnett might help you with this. Thse kinds of business
ventures are becoming popular here in the US and we need more.
It makes keeping open country in greenspace and farming popular
and encourages local officials to pass regulations favorable to
rural enterprises and unfavorable to commercial-industrial uses and
real estate developments.

Old 25-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Chookie

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

However, I do make a point of using (and telling them it is)
the top-quality food produced on the island ; sausages and black
pudding made by my butcher, island milk from grassfed cows, freerange
eggs, local honey, jam and marmalade, Scottish bacon and porridge oats,
John's home made bread.

drool

I know someone who runs a B&B on the Isle of Skye too, so that's two places
I'll book when we do our World Tour (TM). Probably in about 2030...

Have been busy with my own free-range baby (Matthew was born on the 29th of
May) and rscuing the vegie patch from weds by laying down newspaper and mulch.
I have some seedlings coming along nicely at present but not much actually in
the garden. If Switzerland could post us some rain...? Have bought some
weeper hose as I am *not* going to be hand-hosing the vegies over summer! It
will be interesting to see what water restrictions we have by then. (I live
in Australia's largest city -- 4 million people -- and our water supply is not
keeping up with demand.)

The state govt has decided that a desalination plant is a much better idea
than recycling water from sewage or managing demand. So we'll continue to
pump untreated sewage out to sea, then pump in the sea-water and use an
incredibly energy-intensive system to make fresh water out of it. sigh

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.
Old 26-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Judanne

"Chookie" wrote in message

The state govt has decided that a desalination plant is a much better idea
than recycling water from sewage or managing demand. So we'll continue to
pump untreated sewage out to sea, then pump in the sea-water and use an
incredibly energy-intensive system to make fresh water out of it. sigh

For more on this subject, if you have broadband you can watch a documentary
that played on
4 Corners (a very reputable investigative programme on the Aussie ABC) in
February this year.
I was a bit shocked at the idea of NSW importing water from Tassie as our
lakes, etc. are at their lowest, too.

You'll find it on this link
http://abc.net.au/4corners/special_eds/20050209/

Judanne

Len Wanda Too Australia 1 09-02-2004 08:02 PM
Len - Mulch Wanda Australia 12 11-01-2004 05:13 AM
Len Dwayne Australia 1 17-12-2003 10:02 AM
Len Wanda Australia 0 16-12-2003 09:34 AM
Len Judanne Permaculture 5 07-10-2003 03:49 AM