GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Permaculture (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/permaculture/)
-   -   Happy... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/permaculture/107318-happy.html)

Chookie 23-09-2005 01:09 PM

Happy...

My Rentachooks arrived today!

Nicely-made coop (though I think the roost is too low, not that there's
anywhere else to put it). Birds are originally from a chook breeder who sells
to battery farms, and they've been debeaked :-( At least they're going to
have happy lives. One is caramel and the other is more a light rust colour.
About 22 weeks old; may or may not be laying already; we'll find out tomorrow
morning. Threw some old cabbage in but the chooks weren't sure if it was food
or not.

Not named yet. I suggested Caramel and Rusty or Sage and Onion; DH wants
Gregory and Peck (from an episode of Bananas in Pyjamas, but as we don't have
a rooster that seems inappropriate); DS1 has ultimate naming rights.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

arachne 23-09-2005 10:59 PM

"Chookie" wrote in message
[...]

i like sage & onion.

cluck. enjoy!
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS 20th august 2002
#2 due 14th october 2005

"Worry is like a rocking chair--it gives you something to do but it doesn't
get you anywhere." -- Anonymous

SG1 23-09-2005 11:35 PM

Chookie
Shouls that not read (Husband Dear) HD rather than DH other conotations
involved with Mr Cranium?????
Just a thought
Jim

Chookie 25-09-2005 12:58 PM

In article ,
"SG1" wrote:

Shouls that not read (Husband Dear) HD rather than DH other conotations
involved with Mr Cranium?????

I think that might be one reason a lot of women like using the notation DH --
it can be so many, many things...

Chookie 29-09-2005 10:05 AM

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:

The "debeaking " that happens to chickens intended for mass-production
farms, cuts only the tip of the top beak back, so it endsvery slightly
shorter than the bottom one.

Unfortunately, these two have lost a bit of the bottom as well -- you can
imagine how short their beaks are :-( When I said "savagely debeaked", I
really meant it!

I will only buy battery eggs if I am desperate.