Old 27-03-2003, 03:08 AM
len brauer

Default Shadecloth alternatives in Australia?

g'day jason,

it would probably come down to how much light you need to maintane say
for plants or light that may be neded in the house. pretty much plants
will grow under anything you put up as it protects them from the worst
of the sun, though roofs that don't let light through may limit plants
to being around the well lit parameter.

they have a carbon fibre translucent or tinted roof now that is
stronger that ulcanite, you can also keep heat build up down by laying
shade cloth under those types of roofs.

my thoughts

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/
Old 27-03-2003, 04:21 AM
Judanne

I have a pergola at the back of my place. I find that the plants under it
do so much better than those that are out in the full glare of the sun. The
beauty of the shadecloth is that the rain (when it does come!) just
percolates through. It also makes a nice spot to have a rest or a meal out
of the glare of the sun.
I don't know what strength it is though.

I know the branches you mean. I think they're tea tree or something
similar.

Judanne

"Jason Paris" wrote in message
om...
Hi folks,

I've got a pergola out the back without a roof. My wife and I are
tossing up options for a translucent-style roof (ie, Shadecloth,
corrugated fibreglass etc) so that we may keep plants beneath it, and
give them some shelter.

Was hoping you'd share your opinions pros & cons of the different
roofing materials that you may have used yourselves.

Oh, we're also considering a kinda "thatched" roof too - not
traditional thatching (as one would see on European cottage roofs),
but those thin, tall, brown twiggy branches that are occasionally
bunched together in Australia to create attractive fences (sorry, my
knowledge of plant names is woeful - I hope you know what I mean!!).

Thank you kindly,

Jason Paris

TRIAD OF INFAMY Or, the 3 replies from West Australia Premier ColinBarnett to Australia Mining Pioneeer Jean-Paul Turcaud SENT AS ACONFIDENTIAL NOTE TO THE SILENT MAJORITY Australia Mining Pioneer & Founder of the True Geology Australia 11 11-06-2010 10:29 AM
Shadecloth J Kolenovsky Gardening 1 09-07-2006 08:28 PM
Greenhouse ShadeCloth - which is best? Gene Texas 3 03-04-2005 11:00 PM
Shadecloth alternatives in Australia? Jason Paris Permaculture 3 05-05-2003 02:08 PM
Attaching shadecloth to an aluminium greenhouse Red Sky Australia 2 05-04-2003 07:33 AM