GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Permaculture (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/permaculture/)
-   -   How come only 2 threads here? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/permaculture/165217-how-come-only-2-threads-here.html)

JakeD 22-09-2007 07:46 PM

How come only 2 threads here?

I thought permaculture was the way to save the planet. So why only 2
threads in this ng?

Cheers,
JD

Gerald 23-09-2007 05:16 AM

How come only 2 threads here?

Not a lot of PC people on newsgroups for some reasons.

More on this list server it seems:

Maybe because it's simpler...my GF subscribes to the listserver, but
she can't figure out newsgroups.

Good luck,
Gerald

len garden 23-09-2007 09:19 PM

How come only 2 threads here?

g'day jake,

just the way pc is being driven, away from the grass roots level. this
group was very vibrant and almost over night secular interest
infighting nailed it.

the ideals of pc can encourage people to think about how they do
things and what they do, permaculture itself can't obtain those ideals
without infuencing the masses.

sadly it is pretty much the domain of all pc boards one or 2 may have
idle chat about anything that could be dealt with under other boards
but nothing that pertains much to the ideals of looking after our
habitat and the health of the planet in the long term interests of the
health of us inhabitants.

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 18:46:22 +0100, JakeD
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

JakeD 24-09-2007 10:05 AM

How come only 2 threads here?

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 23:16:09 -0400, Gerald
wrote:

More on this list server it seems:

Maybe because it's simpler...my GF subscribes to the listserver, but
she can't figure out newsgroups.

Gerald,
Thanks for the lead. I've never used mailing lists much in the past,
having always prefered the way newsgroups work. However, I must
subscribe to the one above and give it a try. ..not that I have much
to offer; I am really a beginner, seeking to widen my knowledge.

Regards,

JD

JakeD 24-09-2007 10:11 AM

How come only 2 threads here?

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 19:19:43 GMT, len garden
wrote:

just the way pc is being driven, away from the grass roots level. this
group was very vibrant and almost over night secular interest
infighting nailed it.

Hi Len,
That's unfortunate. I think that can happen in just about any ng,
depending on who gets involved. I've abandoned a few in the past.

JD

len garden 24-09-2007 09:03 PM

How come only 2 threads here?

yes jake,

it scares away new players in the field as no one wants to join a
board where they may get abused, me i reckon i have a right like
anyone else to be here, but not like some that are involved who have
agendas to push.

it is the 'permaculture' for sale agenda that is stopping pc from
being accepted by the rank and file at grass roots level the greed of
the dollar and the mistaken concept that an expensive course needs to
be undertaken before you can say you follow pc principals. i've had a
number of e/mails asking where new comers might find open free chat
about pc without the pressure of buying something, just nowhere around
at present.

like many others i have been targetted but not like most i'm staying
put.

now wouldn't it be great if we could encourage enough new players to
come on board and promote different mind sets?

currently pc is seen by most as the modern nimbin hippyism and they
just won't come to the party.

JakeD 24-09-2007 11:34 PM

How come only 2 threads here?

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 19:03:51 GMT, len garden
wrote:

yes jake,

it scares away new players in the field as no one wants to join a
board where they may get abused, me i reckon i have a right like
anyone else to be here, but not like some that are involved who have
agendas to push.

it is the 'permaculture' for sale agenda that is stopping pc from
being accepted by the rank and file at grass roots level the greed of
the dollar and the mistaken concept that an expensive course needs to
be undertaken before you can say you follow pc principals. i've had a
number of e/mails asking where new comers might find open free chat
about pc without the pressure of buying something, just nowhere around
at present.

Yes. I'm probably just scratching the surface of the pc philosophy.

But can I digress onto semantics? When I first heard the word
'permaculture' it was a noun used by someone describing the practice
of growing crops that yield produce year after year with little human
effort required. When I looked the word up on Wikipedia, and other
places, I found that the word has more than that and more than one
distinct meaning, as far as I can tell. I are say it may mean
different thiongs to different people, so I'll come to the point and
state what I'm really interested in...

I'm mainly interested in the subject of self-sufficient (or as near as
possible) communities. I was inspired by an essay by Australian, Bill
Trainer that convinced me that self-sufficient communities, pursuing
an organic, self-sufficient, energy-efficient lifestyle, off-grid, is
the best way to live, for many reasons. I can invisage that if
disaster happens (due to oil running out or whatever), such
communities will be among the few with the skills and resources to
survive. It made me aware of the wrongness of the way I've been
living, buying into wasteful destructive consumerism, like there's no
tomorrow, etc. I used to feel justified in living like that, until I
became aware and convinced that there's realistically a better way,
and a better type of community.

I just happen to have a wad of cash in the bank right now, having just
sold my house. I'm thinking of buying land somewhere, and pursuing a
more self-sufficient lifestyle, perhaps with some like-minded people,
here in the British Isles, or even somewhere on mainland Europe. But
first, I am just reading up on relevant subject-matter, in
preparation.

How about youself? What pc-related pursuits are you involved with?

JD

len garden 25-09-2007 09:15 PM

How come only 2 threads here?

g'day jake,

yes the term permaculture has a broad spectrum as it is meant to have
this is so all can use its principals in their own space.

we have had to move back to suburbia so as much as we can we run our
living standard under the principlas of p/c. everything we do is
documented on our page.

on "self-sufficiency" i wrota an essay on what i call the myth as it
like permaculture has become a catch cry term for the "feel-gooder's"
to use so they can appear to appear green for want of a better term.

anyhow many who go for the sea/tree-change never realy bite the bullit
of opportunity to think outside the box, to test the comfort envelope
and realy think latteraly.

we designed and had built a design of home that is much more
affordable to build and is also very user friendly being of
'warm-house/cool-house' concepts, the design can be adapted easily for
our climate zones as can the type of cladding used, it is simple and
it works. if a house is going to be renewables wise and comfortable
naturally then the aspect of the land (an art many have forgotten) is
a major consideration. we came to this design after disregarding the
industry standard models (the must fit indoctrinated ideals designs)
and taking note of what others did especially an architect up darwin
way. this is truely affordable housing for all players.

for the main we have found the when folk go looking to rural change
they realy don't develop a defined criteria of what they expect do
achieve so they buy the land they need for their wants and those of
the habitat.

take the opportunity ot visit our site, all is explained there.

loof forward to more cahts if you wish please feel free to use e/mail
if you also desire.

our link is featured below

JakeD 25-09-2007 11:32 PM

How come only 2 threads here?

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:15:45 GMT, len garden
wrote:

on "self-sufficiency" i wrota an essay on what i call the myth as it
like permaculture has become a catch cry term for the "feel-gooder's"
to use so they can appear to appear green for want of a better term.

Point taken, Len. I totally agree that complete self-sufficiency must
be close to impossible and undoubtedly not much fun! I was thinking
more along the lines of needing to be much more self-sufficint that I
am at present. At the very least, not reliant on supermarkets and
such. Ted Trainer wrote, somewhe

" We must develop as much self-sufficiency as we reasonably can at the
national level, meaning less trade, at the household level, and
especially at the neighbourhood, suburban, town and local regional
level. We need to convert our presently barren suburbs into thriving
regional economies which produce most of what they need from local
resources."

for the main we have found the when folk go looking to rural change
they realy don't develop a defined criteria of what they expect do
achieve so they buy the land they need for their wants and those of
the habitat.

Yes; I can well imagine that! I definitely plan to educate myself a
bit before putting my money into land. I also need to find out about
the planning regs and attitudes in the areas of interest.

take the opportunity ot visit our site, all is explained there.

loof forward to more cahts if you wish please feel free to use e/mail
if you also desire.

our link is featured below

Nicely-done website, with plenty of substance, thanks; I will be
revisiting that one!

With peace and brightest of blessings,

Likewise..

JD

FarmI 26-09-2007 11:04 AM

How come only 2 threads here?

"len garden" wrote in message

just the way pc is being driven, away from the grass roots level. this
group was very vibrant and almost over night secular interest
infighting nailed it.

It wasn't that Len, it was the fact that we were a very stable group who
posted here where no new people arrived and because we all posted with
monotonous regularity we had all discussed permie together for so darned
long there was nothing new to discuss. And we got spam botted for a long
time by the loonie spammers. It became unviable.

Perhaps if there are some new people around now we can resurrect it.

FarmI 26-09-2007 11:16 AM

How come only 2 threads here?

"JakeD" wrote in message
But can I digress onto semantics? When I first heard the word
'permaculture' it was a noun used by someone describing the practice
of growing crops that yield produce year after year with little human
effort required. When I looked the word up on Wikipedia, and other
places, I found that the word has more than that and more than one
distinct meaning, as far as I can tell. I are say it may mean
different thiongs to different people, so I'll come to the point and
state what I'm really interested in...

Fairly good summation, but pricipally it's about design. ie zones of high
use items are placed closest to the main living area and less used items are
placed further away. So, for eg, a salad cutting bed would be closest to
the dwelling that the trees which will only produce a crop one a year.

FarmI 26-09-2007 11:25 AM

How come only 2 threads here?

"len garden" wrote in message

we have had to move back to suburbia so as much as we can we run our
living standard under the principlas of p/c. everything we do is
documented on our page.

Len, are there any pics of your current city house on your site or only pics
of the place where you lived in the bush before moving back to the city?

permaculture.biz[_2_] 26-09-2007 03:17 PM

How come only 2 threads here?

On Sep 23, 3:46 am, JakeD wrote:
I thought permaculture was the way to save the planet. So why only 2
threads in this ng?

Cheers,
JD

G'day,

The forum with the highest participation can be found through the
www.permaculture.org.au website. There are only so many of us
unfortunately....

Hooroo,

Darren Doherty
www.permaculture.biz

JakeD 26-09-2007 04:19 PM

How come only 2 threads here?

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:16:04 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

Fairly good summation, but pricipally it's about design. ie zones of high
use items are placed closest to the main living area and less used items are
placed further away. So, for eg, a salad cutting bed would be closest to
the dwelling that the trees which will only produce a crop one a year.

Hi, Thanks. I must read up on that aspect of it.

JD

len garden 26-09-2007 08:24 PM

How come only 2 threads here?

farml,

no pics of current house as there is nothing inspirational in this
regular macmansion inefficient design to talk to others about, plenty
of pics of these type homes online on home builder web sites.