GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Permaculture (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/permaculture/)
-   -   Bill Mollison (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/permaculture/213679-bill-mollison.html)

songbird[_2_] 27-09-2016 05:34 PM

Bill Mollison

a co-founder of permaculture. crusty and very
funny teller of stories, tells it like it is in
his videos (some he rambles and goes off on
tangents and may never come back :) ). he was not
religious so i will not say RIP, but instead i
hope he was returned to the earth in some way that
he would have liked.

like anyone who's actually into science and
the ideas behind permaculture he was not ever into
blind followers, instead he always wanted people
to challenge his ideas and find new ways of doing
what needs to be done.

here are a few quotes from him showing his humor
and attitude:

“I confess to a rare problem gynekinetophobia, or the fear of women falling on me but this is a rather mild illness compared with many affluent suburbanites, who have developed an almost total zoophobia, or fear of anything that moves. It is, as any traveller can confirm, a complaint best developed in the affluent North American, and it seems to be part of blue toilet dyes, air fresheners, lots of paper tissues, and two showers a day.”

“To create a mess in which we perish by our own inaction makes nonsense of our claim to consciousness and morality”

“To accumulate wealth, power or land beyond one's needs in a limited world is to be truly immoral, be it as an individual, an institution, or a nation-state.”

“Few people today muck around in earth, and when on international flights, I often find I have the only decently dirty fingernails.”

“Most biologists, (says Vogel, 1981) seem to have heard of the boundary layer, but they have a fuzzy notion that it is a discrete region, rather than the discrete notion that it is a fuzzy region.”

cheers Bill, you rocked,

songbird