Old 30-09-2002, 03:38 AM
Wesley Trotman

Default Newbie.... Where to begin?

Hi James

I think you are on the right track in just observing for a while but that
shouldnt stop you from improving the fertility of your soil and planting
annuals.
Determine the hot spots and the cold spots and seasonal wind directions.
Where does the ground dry out or remain moist. There is also the intangables
of feel, what spots feel good and were there is a feeling of edge or
disturbance. Im not sure what one does with these except to find a spot for
a zone1 and house in the calm areas.
Anyone else thought about this?

Anyway good luck

Wes
When it comes to errecting permanent structures or planting perenials you
need to have carried a planning exercise
"James" wrote in message
om...
I bought the farm. Well, I bought 5 acres in El Dorado County
California (Zone 9?). The land is slightly sloping cleared of scrubs
mostly grass with some Gray Pines and various Oaks. Would like to get
started with Permaculture on the land but don't know where to start.

Goals:
1) Shade. It's hot here this summer.
2) Deal with these Moles or Gophers.
3) Create some interest.
4) Build a natural pond with fish. Trout would be cool.
5) Sustainability food production.

I figure I will observe for several months.
My questions are. What are some things I can do to prepare the land
for Permaculture? What are favorite Permaculture type projects?

-j