Old 06-11-2002, 07:03 AM
Wesley Trotman

Default Quinoa

Snip

I have found a reference Fat hen ; it is Chenopodium album and Robin
Clayfield in "You Can Have Your Permaculture and Eat It Too' says that seeds
and greens are edible. So its of the same family as quinoa but different
species.

Fat Hen Salad.
4 cups young tender leaves
1 avocado
2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
3 shallots, cut into small circles
6 tbs of dressing.

Thank you Robin,

I enjoy this book immensly, its a real compodium of a permaculture for
cooks and gardeners plus you name it.

If you are interested I would think it could be bought from Robin

At 58 Crystal Waters, MS16, Maleny, Queensland, 4552

Old 06-11-2002, 07:06 PM
Graham Burnett

"Wesley Trotman" wrote in message
.. .
Snip

I have found a reference Fat hen ; it is Chenopodium album and Robin
Clayfield in "You Can Have Your Permaculture and Eat It Too' says that

seeds
and greens are edible. So its of the same family as quinoa but different
species.

Yup- leaves are allegedly a spinach substitute but I think she's pushing it
with the seeds- apparently it did used to be used as a 'gruel' in earlier
times- when I had lots of fat hen going to seed I harvested it like a good
little permaculturist and put some in a soup I made- IIRC it was gritty and
got stuck between the teeth and the kids wouldn't touch it ever again....

Cheers Graham

Quinoa nzlstar* Edible Gardening 2 28-09-2007 05:10 AM
Quinoa was links to good photos? Graham Burnett Permaculture 11 05-05-2003 02:08 PM
Quinoa was links to good photos? Graham Burnett Permaculture 22 06-11-2002 06:44 AM