Old 03-12-2002, 07:39 AM
MDHJWH

Default Advice on land plot (long)

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message . au...

- right size
- good district and climate
- good water
- we want some hills, not just flat
- good access
- a 'clean slate' to start from
- quiet and privacy but not a long way to town

Would you not want those things? Is there something important that I am
missing in your view? If you have ideas say on.

Would I want those things? yes but my horror of drought & heat is
sending me to Northern Tasmania this march to live.
I've looked at the map to get an idea of your latitude & I suspect
that given the vally location you may have problems with autumn frosts
although some crops seem to like such conditions. I'd be putting the
house as high as possible on the north facing slope if you can. Having
lived in a valley in South East Gippsland we didn't realize the
mistake we had made building near the stream at the low point. It's
actually depressing to have to wait until 11am to see the sun.That was
years ago & we were total innocents in such things.From the cogent and
detailed description you have given I can't imagine you will be
rushing in ill-prepared.

As to the 'clean slate' - have you had the soil tested for trace
elements?

Ayn Marx

Old 03-12-2002, 08:33 AM
len brauer

our home design lets all the winter sun in all the house and keeps all
the summer sun out, it also has thermal qualities to keep temperatures
cooler or warmer inside.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/

Old 03-12-2002, 08:51 PM
Fran Higham

"MDHJWH" wrote in message

(snip)I'd be putting the
house as high as possible on the north facing slope if you can.

But that position would have potential to be disasterous in a bushfire given
how fire races up hills. A compromise of high enough to give frost drainage
and low enough to still be above the floodline is worth thinking about.
That sort of position shouldn't allow a bushfire to reach full raging
capacity.

However, having said that, I know of one place here that is tucked up under
an escarpment and they grow begonias outside (we get to -10C round here). I
was gobsmacked when I saw the begonias but then found that there were heaps
of other things all of which would be a hot house dream in my location (and
indeed anywhere else in this district). this place loses the sun very early
on winter days but the moon and sun rises over the lake make up for it
according to the residents (and given how hot it can get here in summer,
anything that gets the house in shadow a nanosecond earlier is not
necesarily a bad thing.

Old 03-12-2002, 08:51 PM
Fran Higham

(snip)I'd be putting the

Old 04-12-2002, 10:45 PM
David Hare-Scott

"Fran Higham" wrote in message
"MDHJWH" wrote in message

(snip)I'd be putting the
house as high as possible on the north facing slope if you can.

But that position would have potential to be disasterous in a bushfire

given
how fire races up hills. A compromise of high enough to give frost

drainage
and low enough to still be above the floodline is worth thinking

about.
That sort of position shouldn't allow a bushfire to reach full raging
capacity.

The bottom of the valley and the lower slopes of the south side are
cleared for pasture. The house will go in a compromise position part
way up the south side as you suggest. We will be planting orchards and
re-vegetating much of the pasture over time but we will keep the area
around the house and outbuildings free of trees and large shrubs to
guard against fires. The material from the fire brigade and others on
preparing your house and site to reduce fire risk is mandatory reading
under these circumstances. Here is one on the web
http://www.bushfire.nsw.gov.au/commu...otectrural.htm

David

Old 04-12-2002, 10:45 PM
David Hare-Scott

"Fran Higham" wrote in message

(snip)I'd be putting the

Old 05-12-2002, 11:36 PM
Fran Higham

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

(snip) The material from the fire brigade and others on
preparing your house and site to reduce fire risk is mandatory reading
under these circumstances. Here is one on the web
http://www.bushfire.nsw.gov.au/commu...otectrural.htm

Not a bad site and some good advice on farm practices however rather limited
on the house front and the value of good planting and plant choice and how
that can in fact be one of the best forms of protection and especially in a
wildfire situations.

Old 05-12-2002, 11:36 PM
Fran Higham

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

(snip) The material from the fire brigade and others on
preparing your house and site to reduce fire risk is mandatory reading
under these circumstances. Here is one on the web
http://www.bushfire.nsw.gov.au/commu...otectrural.htm

Not a bad site and some good advice on farm practices however rather limited
on the house front and the value of good planting and plant choice and how
that can in fact be one of the best forms of protection and especially in a
wildfire situations.

advice sought on buying a plot to farm self-sufficiently & live on David WE Roberts[_2_] United Kingdom 85 08-06-2010 03:31 PM
New Garden Plot Advice Scott Hildenbrand Gardening 9 23-02-2008 06:44 PM
Re New Garden Plot Advice Billy[_4_] Gardening 0 23-02-2008 01:26 AM
Old Railway Land - Veggie Plot Dan United Kingdom 3 05-04-2006 08:45 PM
Advice on land plot (long) David Hare-Scott Permaculture 12 05-05-2003 01:08 PM