Old 29-09-2003, 04:33 AM
Michael May

Default Hello

Is this group active?

Mike
Old 29-09-2003, 04:33 AM
Michael May

Does anyone know of any active ng's about permaculture?

Mike
Old 29-09-2003, 11:02 AM
palmer.william

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 01:30:12 GMT, "Michael May" wrote:

Does anyone know of any active ng's about permaculture?

Mike

I don't think this group has much life. I have looked at it a few
times but there are never any posts to speak of.

Bill
Old 29-09-2003, 11:12 AM
palmer.william

What sort of thing are you looking for?

Bill

Old 29-09-2003, 11:12 AM
palmer.william

You could try rec.gardens.ecosystems.

Bill

Old 29-09-2003, 02:42 PM
sqArk

wrote:

Does anyone know of any active ng's about permaculture?

Mike

I don't think this group has much life. I have looked at it a few times
but there are never any posts to speak of.

I figure it is because most people have a life based in the garden, not
in front of the box. I have also noticed that when questions get asked,
there is a quick response from quite a few people. So I guess this ng is
quite efficient and effective, as permaculture should be.

:-)

Cam
Old 29-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Ute Bohnsack

Hi there,
this group used to be much more active and some of the things discussed
even ended up on a group website at
http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture-online/index.html (which admittedly
I haven't worked on in ages... sorry).
A lot of good info has gone through this group but there've also been
some fights and I think some folks just got tired and moved on ... or
went out into their gardens
I myself am no exception and still think fondly of the early days of
this NG. I hadn't checked in a good while, just been too busy, but was
delighted to find Kirsty's post and the great pic on her website!
So let's breath some life back into the group.

Slán,
Ute

Old 29-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Michael May" contains these words:

Is this group active?

It used to be, but Lawrence London, who claimed it was his own, wore
down every other contributor in the end.

Janet.

Old 30-09-2003, 01:32 AM
Judanne

But there are probably quite a few "lurkers" like me, who drop in from time
to time to see what one can learn.

You could also go to the Permaculture website. There are bound to be some
links there.
http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture-online/index.html

Judanne in Tasmania

Old 30-09-2003, 10:44 AM
Jeff Anderson

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:53:42 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from "Michael May" contains these words:

Is this group active?

It used to be, but Lawrence London, who claimed it was his own, wore
down every other contributor in the end.

Janet.

Hello Janet.

Lawrence London sounds like a villain in a Walt Disney kids movie.

Well there seems to have been a few posts in the past week. Up until
now, each time that I have checked it had seemed like a ghost-group.

What happened and how did someone called Lawrence London manage to
stifle a group devoted to permaculture? I thought those sort of things
only happened in the kids groups. I thought you guys would be pretty
good regarding pest control.

Well, I'm Jeff Anderson, I am in Queensland Australia, a sub-tropical
area, and I have just renewed my interest in gardening/permaculture.

I have a half acre riverfront home and am in the process of tearing up
lawns and replacing them with fruit and nut trees, vegetable gardens
and fruit bearing vines. I am fortunate in that the climate allows
year round planting for most vegetables as well as quite rapid growth.
I have had vegetable gardens before but not really got into true
permaculture. I watched a documentary on permaculture a couple of
years ago and subsequently developed quite an interest in the concept.

How many people (lurkers) read this group? Anyone have a rough idea?

How long before Lawrence London makes an appearance?

Regards

Jeff

Old 30-09-2003, 11:39 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message 73sinv8u5ho63gdapqn2ksg3l1f1jd704q@primus
from Jeff Anderson contains these words:

Lawrence London sounds like a villain in a Walt Disney kids movie.

He mentioned he always wears black :-)

What happened and how did someone called Lawrence London manage to
stifle a group devoted to permaculture? I thought those sort of things
only happened in the kids groups. I thought you guys would be pretty
good regarding pest control.

PCers supposedly practise people-care, fair-shares and non-toxic
organic methods :~}.

Well, I'm Jeff Anderson, I am in Queensland Australia, a sub-tropical
area, and I have just renewed my interest in gardening/permaculture.

I have a half acre riverfront home and am in the process of tearing up
lawns and replacing them with fruit and nut trees, vegetable gardens
and fruit bearing vines. I am fortunate in that the climate allows
year round planting for most vegetables as well as quite rapid growth.
I have had vegetable gardens before but not really got into true
permaculture. I watched a documentary on permaculture a couple of
years ago and subsequently developed quite an interest in the concept.

There used to be a load of Aussies here. Len (Queensland) and Fran (SW
Aus) are still active on usenet so with luck might turn up here again.
Also, you can find all the collected wisdom from altpc's past, in the
archives at www.google/groups. Ted, Pete and Len were all posting from
your neck of the woods. There were also regulars from Britain,
USA,Tasmania and NZ; varying degrees of commitment to permaculture but
all (except one, no prizes..) very active hands-on gardeners/ animal
keepers/ DIYers.

How many people (lurkers) read this group? Anyone have a rough idea?

Impossible to tell.

How long before Lawrence London makes an appearance?

He's the kind of guy who sets up his pc to constantly monitor the
internet for mentions of his name; so not long. If he's using other
ID's, you'll recognise him by the frequent orders to ungrateful leftist
pinko commie liberals (etc etc etc) to get out of his newsgroup.

Janet.

Isle of Arran, Scotland.

Old 30-09-2003, 11:51 PM
len gardener

g'day jeff,

i'm here in sth east qld, just north of gympie on near 70 acres. don't
do all that hard yakka ripping up the lawn leave it there and plant
over the top of it raised beds are the way to go and depending on your
soil type most often heavy clay you will need to plant your fruit
trees slightly raised then mulch between them do it all on the
contours.

just some thoughts

ted still isn't online he is still setting up hus home and gardens and
much too busy, hasn't finished unloading the first 40 foot container
yet and another still in brissy waiting to be transported and
unloaded, this job will keep him young for a long time yet i reckon.
we hope to get to see them soon as we are looking at doing a business
type course at maryborough TAFE in ted n sheenas territory.

take care all

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/
Old 01-10-2003, 04:47 AM
Jeff Anderson

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:50:36 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message 73sinv8u5ho63gdapqn2ksg3l1f1jd704q@primus
from Jeff Anderson contains these words:

Lawrence London sounds like a villain in a Walt Disney kids movie.

He mentioned he always wears black :-)

Hmmmmm...

What happened and how did someone called Lawrence London manage to
stifle a group devoted to permaculture? I thought those sort of things
only happened in the kids groups. I thought you guys would be pretty
good regarding pest control.

PCers supposedly practise people-care, fair-shares and non-toxic
organic methods :~}.

A piece of hickory is non-toxic and organic. g

[...]

Yes, I have been Googling. Hopefully the group might get going again.
Google is interesting but real people with interaction is much nicer.

How many people (lurkers) read this group? Anyone have a rough idea?

Impossible to tell.

How long before Lawrence London makes an appearance?

He's the kind of guy who sets up his pc to constantly monitor the
internet for mentions of his name; so not long. If he's using other
ID's, you'll recognise him by the frequent orders to ungrateful leftist
pinko commie liberals (etc etc etc) to get out of his newsgroup.

A commie liberal? His newsgroup? I think that I am getting the
picture.

Janet.

Isle of Arran, Scotland.

I can't place Isle of Arran. I traveled through Scotland many times as
a child, but that name doesn't ring any bells. I know Skye and
Talisker's (I have constant reminders ), places like Turriff, the
Cities, but not Arran.

Jeff

Hello??? KnotHead Lawns 2 31-03-2003 04:32 PM
[IBC] Hello from Japan (and some questions) Becca Ridout Bonsai 0 16-02-2003 05:03 AM
[IBC] Hello Again Craig Cowing Bonsai 3 15-02-2003 03:15 AM
[IBC] Hello & Ficus Benjamina Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 29-01-2003 02:56 AM
[IBC] Hello & Ficus Benjimina Richard Jeffery Bonsai 0 29-01-2003 01:42 AM