Old 16-11-2003, 11:02 AM
pete

Default compost-able paper bag?

Hi Alan
Have you thought about the type of bags used for cement type products?

I know they're not completely waterproof but they are double or triple,
strong paper which would probably hold moisture for that length of time, I'm
guessing of course but the inner layers may be enough to absorb most of the
moisture before it can wet the outside too much.

Pete

"Alan Horowitz" wrote in message
om...
I need bags that can serve as a single-use receptable for a composting
toilet. Must be water-tight for the first, say, 20 minutes exposure to
wetness, then start to breakdown. Must not poison earthworms. After
being filled with excreta and wood shavings, the bags would slowly
travel on a sort of conveyor belt in a temp-controlled chamber until
they no longer contain septic materal. Or more likely, till they no
longer smell, since that is what I can actually test. Then tossed onto
a public garden.

existing, commercial-off-the-shelf mass-marketed products are most
ideal.

ordinary paper bags of the sort used in grocery stores seem suitable,
but they're not waterproof at all.

suggestions?

---

Old 17-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Mike Davis

If he's worried about non-toxic to worms, I wouldn't recommend bags that
have contained cement dust until the dust has been significantly diluted by
water. Anyone that has has ever experienced alkali burns from cement
understands the problem.

Mike D.

Old 18-11-2003, 01:42 AM
pete

"Mike Davis" wrote in message
If he's worried about non-toxic to worms, I wouldn't recommend bags that
have contained cement dust until the dust has been significantly diluted

by
water. Anyone that has has ever experienced alkali burns from cement
understands the problem.

I agree MIke I wasn't actually suggesting he use em after cement had been in
them, but rather he seek out a source of that type of strong bag, but I
suppose old Gypsum bags could be used.

We used to use millions of bags of stone dust in the coal mines in England
to dilute the coal dust and reduce the risk of fire, they were similar to
cement bags but smaller like a slightly larger grocery store bag, this was
pure stone dust, ground limestone IIRC, so theres probably a source of that
type of bag that has been used to hold a less harmful subtance than cement
around somewhere.

Pete

---

To Bag- or not to bag? Jos. Wheeler Lawns 25 10-04-2006 11:10 AM
To bag or not to bag 2 Gene Moon Lawns 1 13-06-2003 04:44 PM
To Bag or Not to Bag Gene Moon Lawns 3 09-06-2003 03:08 PM
Hi could anyone maybe be able to tell what kind of plant pest Long Tall Sally Gardening 1 02-06-2003 02:32 AM
Hi could anyone maybe be able to tell what kind of plant pest this is J Gardening 1 02-06-2003 02:32 AM