Old 24-11-2003, 04:30 AM
Fran

Default Fruit trees, grafting was Test

"Ute Bohnsack" wrote in message

Good to read you all and what you're up to. It's weird reading about
spring down under as we have moved into winter now.
I've uploaded some more 2003 season pics from our place here in Eire to
the website
http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture-...clogher03.html

Nice progress Ute. The trees seem to have done very well.

I was particulary interested in the fruit trees as I have some of the same
ones (such as Golden Hornet) and I have just this spring grafted a whole lot
of apples onto 2 seedling apple trees that just popped up from no-where.

A friend has some older Britiah sort of fruits such as Worcester Pearmain,
Lord Lambourne, Beauty of Bath, Coxes Orange Pippen etc, etc that was used
as grafting material. These applesa re reallyr are down here and I've only
ever read of them before finding out that my friends had some of them.

I'd never tried grafting before but since the hosts were only seedling trees
and robust ones, the number of grafts applied ended up being as thick as the
hairs on a dogs back.. Huge success as only 1 graft on each tree failed to
take. I even used some of the stock from my 2 litle apples I planted last
year and those grafts also took.

(snip) there are a lot of folks
looking for info on permaculture, especially practical examples and
pics. Let's give 'em something!

We now have a digital camera so I will try to take some pics and get them
loaded. I need to find out how to do all that sort of stuff.