Old 28-11-2003, 12:02 PM
pete

Default The moths, the moths

I know there is a reason for everything in nature but....
We are getting inundated with moths at the moment, not exactly a plague but
there are possibly 100 or so each day that we have to either catch and let
go or have been through the fan in the ducted air con and get blown around
all over the place.

They are about 1 inch long and seem almost as active in the day as they do
at dusk, and they seem to want to fly to the windows to get out but (and I
ask them all this same question) why did they come in in the first place if
all they want to do is get out?

I've evicted about 80 or so today in 3 separate episodes and even now one is
buzzing around in my pooter room ... they don't seem to be attracted to
light like other moths... well not especially attracted to light, this one
is now sitting alongside my monitor probably reading this ....

We seem to get some years when there is an over abundance of a certain
species of animal here... sometimes spiders or lizards, usually (eventually)
we get a balance of species which feed on them. I don't see anything eating
these... our resident huntsman spider (Horace) has had a few but he/she
can't cope with all these.

There's just no end to the little bas..er...blighters.

There was quite a large fire nearby today and all I could think about was I
wonder how many moths it got rid of .....

Pete .... and Molly (the moth)

---

Old 02-12-2003, 05:12 AM
Homefinders

Pete,
Are you in the ACT or therabouts? 'Tis the season for the Bogong moth to
migrate to the Bogong moutains and I've been hearing reports of the new
Parliament house being inundated by them.

Judanne

Old 02-12-2003, 06:43 AM
pete

"Homefinders" wrote in message
Pete,
Are you in the ACT or therabouts? 'Tis the season for the Bogong moth to
migrate to the Bogong moutains and I've been hearing reports of the new
Parliament house being inundated by them.

So ...intelligent life at last in Parliament house eh?
No I'm in South Oz almost as boring as ACT but without politicians ... or at
least not ones we acknowledge.

They seem to be getting fewer by the day here now (the moths that is not
pollies)...just hope whatever is eating them isn't a man eater too .....

---

Old 03-12-2003, 02:14 AM
Fran

"Homefinders" wrote in message

Pete,
Are you in the ACT or therabouts? 'Tis the season for the Bogong moth to
migrate to the Bogong moutains and I've been hearing reports of the new
Parliament house being inundated by them.

There have been Bogongs at Parlt House but not as many as in past years.
Last year they so numerous that they were like flakes of snow around the
House. It gets reported every year Judeanne - Lord knows why as it's a very
common occurrance all the way from Canberra to Melbourne from what I have
managed to figure out. They like the Snowy.

Anyway Judeann, what is happening pc-wise in your neck of the woods?

Old 05-12-2003, 05:44 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "pete" contains these words:

Now I'll have to rename Molly, Mickey ...pity I squished her/him really

Just as well. I could never care about your moth as much as I cared
about Peggy, RIP.

Janet.

Old 14-12-2003, 06:42 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "pete" contains these words:

I know there is a reason for everything in nature but....
We are getting inundated with moths at the moment, not exactly a plague but
there are possibly 100 or so each day that we have to either catch and let
go or have been through the fan in the ducted air con and get blown around
all over the place.

They are about 1 inch long and seem almost as active in the day as they do
at dusk, and they seem to want to fly to the windows to get out but (and I
ask them all this same question) why did they come in in the first place if
all they want to do is get out?

If they aren't sure what they are looking for or don't know exactly
where it is, they must be males. When they maim themselves with domestic
equipment, it's better they should die quickly rather than keep making a
mess all over the house.

Janet.
Old 14-12-2003, 06:42 AM
pete

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

If they aren't sure what they are looking for or don't know exactly
where it is, they must be males. When they maim themselves with domestic
equipment, it's better they should die quickly rather than keep making a
mess all over the house.

Janet.

You could be right they must be males ... they were quiet...

I also noticed when the vacuum came out they just stayed in place and lifted
one leg after the other ....

pantry moths? len Edible Gardening 13 30-12-2003 07:03 PM
Moths Annie United Kingdom 10 19-08-2003 03:05 AM
Surviving a plague of moths David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 30 13-08-2003 10:12 PM
Hawk Moths, Tomato Hornworms, and Nightshade Archie Ritter Edible Gardening 2 11-08-2003 08:32 PM
moths shannie United Kingdom 1 17-06-2003 12:20 AM