GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Permaculture (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/permaculture/)
-   -   Yipee - it lives again! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/permaculture/56932-yipee-lives-again.html)

Fran 26-03-2004 06:22 AM

Yipee - it lives again!

Well hello to all the oldies and to the new names too. I'd stopped even
checking in 'cos all was dead here.

Nice to see you Tara. Still doing the geo stuff I see - glad to hear the
neighbours from hell are vanquished.

Nice to see you too again Judanne and Chookie. So where is Len?

Geodyne 26-03-2004 06:24 AM

Yipee - it lives again!

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 15:49:56 +1100, "Fran"
wrote:

Well hello to all the oldies and to the new names too. I'd stopped even
checking in 'cos all was dead here.

Nice to see you Tara. Still doing the geo stuff I see - glad to hear the
neighbours from hell are vanquished.

Nice to see you too again Judanne and Chookie. So where is Len?

Len appears to be AWOL...I had half been hoping that he would chime in
on the veggie conversation, but he hasn't.

I'll be a bit more chatty after next week...I finally get to get rid
of the thesis from hell, assuming I don't kill myself in the process.
Then I tackle the poor, neglected garden. ;-)

How are things with you on the new place?

Geodyne

len gardener 26-03-2004 06:03 PM

Yipee - it lives again!

g'day geodyne,

i thought the group had died or something, been checking every day for
months and months and nothing, this is the only valid message i can
see where is the message about vege's? what's it called?

len

not new web addy

snipped
--
happy gardening

len gardener 26-03-2004 06:05 PM

Yipee - it lives again!

g'day fran,

i just about had the group buried thought maybe pc had gone out of
fashion, i've been checking every day for months and months looking
for words from any of the older hands or even newer hands. this is the
first new pc message i have seen even when i was with my old isp.

so it is great to hear and see you all again, now where is that vege
post.

we've just finished planting our broccoli, cabbages & cualiflower as
well as some of the seed potatoes, been going great guns here the best
wet seasson to date we had 1040mm of rain last year the best to date
and now we already have 7/10's of last years rainfall so far and more
coming, never seen so much grass.

don't know if anyone remembers how we did contour ripping to get water
underground well it worked a treat reckon it's the best and lowest
impact way of starting good management and restoration to damaged
soil. we have grasses hear that are nigh on 2 meters tall the average
is just over a meter, adn so much mix of grasses would be great to win
lotto and start fattening some beef for the table but that's a dream
at present.

anyway enough of me babbling on it would be great to see the group get
all fired up again, where's pete and wes and some names that slip me
memory right now.

oh ted & sheena are doing great guns he has had slightly better rain
and is now enjoying the sight and his cattle the pleasures of good
pastures, they will be visiting us on monday should be a good day.

see you all don't go shy again huh and could any posts i seemed to
have not gotten be reposted i'd love to be involved.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Fran 27-03-2004 10:32 AM

Yipee - it lives again!

"Geodyne" wrote in message

Len appears to be AWOL...I had half been hoping that he would chime in
on the veggie conversation, but he hasn't.

I see he's posted again so he's still with us :-))

I'll be a bit more chatty after next week...I finally get to get rid
of the thesis from hell, assuming I don't kill myself in the process.

Yeh! Congrats! Almost there!

Then I tackle the poor, neglected garden. ;-)

Will that take as long as the thesis to get back inorder (she says with her
tongue firmly in her left cheek)?

How are things with you on the new place?

We didn't make it in the end. I had to have a rather major operation (which
was a total surprise but if not diagnosed could have cost me big time) and
while that was going on (specifically while I was in hospital and in
Intensive care) we were stuffed around rather badly by some buyers.

In the end I got the irrits and figured that we were never meant to get to
the other place given what was happening and we eventually decided to stay
put for a while. We've done some work on the place (mostly for aesthetic
reasons) and added a verandah and these changes have made a huge difference
to how I feel about the place (I've never particularly liked it while
Himself does) and we'll now stay for a while. We ahve also put in a big
shed for his increasing old jallopy collection so now he is also a very
happy wee piglet.

We are positively not ruling out the thought of moving however. We know
that if we do say that we are not going anywhere then we will instantly find
a "to die for" place that will mean we'll simply have to move (we've done
that before!).

Fran 27-03-2004 11:02 AM

Yipee - it lives again!

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day fran,

Howdy doody Len. Still dry up there?

i just about had the group buried thought maybe pc had gone out of
fashion, i've been checking every day for months and months looking
for words from any of the older hands or even newer hands. this is the
first new pc message i have seen even when i was with my old isp.

I have been a bit busy of late doing lots of things that aren't necessarily
garden related. I haven't been reading or even checking here much because
I've had such little time to get to the computer. I'm involved in a group
that has a major conference coming up locally and work related to that and
my office bearing postions and representative work with that organisation
has kept me very busy. Add to that renovations, my wee job, volunteer work
for the local Show society, my hobbies and the stinking drought and life has
been a bit hectic.

Of the last 8 years we have had 6 years of much less than average rain. In
fact the bloody drought is so bad here that I have had big trees dying in
the garden. Just to add to our woes we now have grasshoppers (locusts) in
plague proportions - not as bad as out West, but still bad enough to
defoliate 2 of my younger trees (a fig and a D'Agen plum). I'm now just
trying to keep the water up to the trees and hoping that Autumn will arrive
fast so that the trees will go into an early shut down and thus might manage
to survive through to next Spring.

so it is great to hear and see you all again, now where is that vege
post.

It's part of the "Breedersons Revisited" thread. Go to some of the earlier
posts.

we've just finished planting our broccoli, cabbages & cualiflower as
well as some of the seed potatoes, been going great guns here the best
wet seasson to date we had 1040mm of rain last year the best to date
and now we already have 7/10's of last years rainfall so far and more
coming, never seen so much grass.

Send some of that rain down here at once you greedy boy! :-))

Perhaps not - you might need to send food parcels South soon if we don't get
some decent rain soon. My garden is simply limping along. Nothing could be
said to be thriving even though I do have soem tomatoes and zucchini and the
odd perrennial veg, they are all doing it tough. The spuds have nearly all
decided it si too much effort and only the Mustard greens look rampant -
although I do have simply wonderful raspberries at the moment.

don't know if anyone remembers how we did contour ripping to get water
underground well it worked a treat reckon it's the best and lowest
impact way of starting good management and restoration to damaged
soil. we have grasses hear that are nigh on 2 meters tall the average
is just over a meter,

Very impressive. There was a demo of a Yeomans plow near here during the
week but I couldn't get htere as I had a prior commitment - most irritating.

oh ted & sheena are doing great guns he has had slightly better rain
and is now enjoying the sight and his cattle the pleasures of good
pastures, they will be visiting us on monday should be a good day.

Say Hi from me and tell him taht a report on progress would be good.

len gardener 27-03-2004 08:04 PM

Yipee - it lives again!

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 21:20:41 +1100, "Fran"
wrote:

"Geodyne" wrote in message

Len appears to be AWOL...I had half been hoping that he would chime in
on the veggie conversation, but he hasn't.

I see he's posted again so he's still with us :-))

yeh me len awol huh lol what did sean connery say in entrapment? 'if
i'm late i'm dead'!! huh well if i'm awol then i must be dead also hey
lol nah been sad realy i thought the group had dissolved, but happier
now.

snipped

How are things with you on the new place?

We didn't make it in the end. I had to have a rather major operation (which
was a total surprise but if not diagnosed could have cost me big time) and
while that was going on (specifically while I was in hospital and in
Intensive care) we were stuffed around rather badly by some buyers.

sorrry to hear about yor op fran, hope all is better now. don't you
just hate dealing with real estate people? they give me the pips
they'd all make good pollititions lying through their front teeth.

snipped

take care

len

--
happy gardening

len gardener 27-03-2004 08:05 PM

Yipee - it lives again!

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 21:36:36 +1100, "Fran"
wrote:

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day fran,

Howdy doody Len. Still dry up there?

nup didn't know it could rain this much in this area but then we
jagged a good micro-climate, don't mention aspect or micro-climates to
real estate it doesn't compute with them.

i just about had the group buried thought maybe pc had gone out of
snippedo that the trees will go into an early shut down and thus might manage

to survive through to next Spring.

yes the dry drought feeling isn't very good hard to work with we lost
heaps of trees we bought early in the piece as this drought has been
going 10 years here, and ther was no sub-surface moisture at all, but
now presto just add water and all changes.

snipped

posts.

yeh ok i would ahve looked at that post when it first appeared but
then as it didn't purtain to me in anyway i then wouldn't have
re-visited so will miss any threads that go beyond the original topic.

i went and had a look through them after last posting and found the
items and ahve responded as i like to do.

snipped
Send some of that rain down here at once you greedy boy! :-))

wish i could been raining again though the night here, haven't had to
water anything since around mid december oh apart from new seedlings
that is. hows this transplanted some pawpaw seedling in december and
early january the ones that didn't die from transplant shock are
getting to 3 foot high and one is in flower already, it used to take 2
years to get that growth.

snipped
although I do have simply wonderful raspberries at the moment.

love respberries but w can't grow them here, ah well can't have it all
can we huh lol.

you never know if the need is there a food parcel wouldn't be out of
the question hey chuckle, after all i reckon we are all here to help
each other in many ways.

snipped
week but I couldn't get htere as I had a prior commitment - most irritating.

memory is getting bad nowadays old timers they reckon you know just
pure old age. will have to check up on the yeomans plow i have heard
the term before but can't picture it right now.

but for us we can't see why so many pc'ers up this way at least go to
great lengths building those trench swales that are almost a permanent
feature of their landscape not to mention the toil and resources used,
when ripping which can be viewed as extended temporary (ours are still
working to varying degrees) and no so labour and resource intensive.
when the trees grow the way i see it we won't need any ripping or very
minimal.

snipped
pastures, they will be visiting us on monday should be a good day.

i'll have a good chat with him and pass info on, i know he is having
his best season to date, they ahve a salt problem in the soil this has
been causing some hiccups, but much stuff is now taking off ie.,.
strawberries, jap pumpkins, snake beans and sweet potato to teds
delight the last time i saw his gardens before this rain came they
where looking a little sad struggling along. i know they have had
water problems with dams all but drying up, and thoughts of putting in
a new dam then cleaning out the old ones to make them deeper.

he's doen way better than me with his jap pumpkins this year about 30
fruit on 2 vines wow great stuff a couple of japs coming our way on
monday when they visit.

his cattle are fatting up nicely sometiems i think he treats them like
pets, can't wait for him to knock one over reckon it'll be prime beef.

Say Hi from me and tell him taht a report on progress would be good.

yep will do you take care now hey?

lenn bev

--
happy gardening

len gardener 27-03-2004 08:06 PM

Yipee - it lives again!

hey fran,

just looked at teh satellite and nmoc maps at bom looks like you could
get something down your way hopefully the tail end of cyclone fay (now
heading sth sth west and over land and still rated a cyclone??) is
mixed up with a cold front coming your way and there is a trough in
there as well, not sure how this equates in your area but up here that
would spell storms at least. also might be a chance that that low that
was that cyclone whatever that dissapeared into the indian ocean could
come back and give perth some moisture hope so they are in a 25 year
drought there i hear.

all hopes and fingers crossed for all down there.

len
--
happy gardening