Old 10-07-2004, 09:09 PM
len gardener

Default unwanted topics

i recommended alt.pc to another person and they came back and said
that i had sent them to a porn site, i couldn't believe it.

i use forte agent as my news reader and use News.INDIVIDUAL.NET as
the news server for forte, and i just don't see those sorts of posts
at all or only a couple here and there leastwise.

so i went into outlook express (the most common used reader i would
guess) and downloaded perm' headers and boy the smut posts are over
whelming. now i guess it would be nigh on impossibe to get people to
stop using OEX and i don't know if those posts can be filtered through
the usenet as alt.pc is not moderated, so what can be done? those
posts must be working in a negative way to the benefit of alt.pc.

so what do we do?
is it plausable to start another moderated group?
those heading can't be helping in anyway shape or form.

if anyone is interested in getting a better newsreader forte have
free agent for use forever and a day sort of.

len

--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:03 AM
Pete

"len gardener" wrote in message
i recommended alt.pc to another person and they came back and said
that i had sent them to a porn site, i couldn't believe it.

Hiya Len
If they descibed it as a "site" rather than a newsgroup they may have
accessed something other than news:alt.permaculture on their ISP's (or
other) server

i use forte agent as my news reader and use News.INDIVIDUAL.NET as
the news server for forte, and i just don't see those sorts of posts
at all or only a couple here and there leastwise.

I'm using OEX on news.individual.net and I've seen quite a few of the type
of posts you're talking about ... I just click ignore sender as each new one
appears ....works for me.

so i went into outlook express (the most common used reader i would
guess) and downloaded perm' headers and boy the smut posts are over
whelming. now i guess it would be nigh on impossibe to get people to
stop using OEX and i don't know if those posts can be filtered through
the usenet as alt.pc is not moderated, so what can be done? those
posts must be working in a negative way to the benefit of alt.pc.

There wouldnt be many newsgroups these days which arent affected by this
kind of post ... actually most of them seem to be links to try to get people
to download a virus in the form of a .scr file ... using porn as the bait it
seems.

In my opinion anyone who comes to a permaculture newsgroup and follows a
link to http://mysisterbonkinga3leggedfrog.com/copthis.scr or some similar
URL from someone they have never heard of, is asking for everything they
get.... BTW don't follow that link OK? :-)

so what do we do?

Ignore em mate

is it plausable to start another moderated group?

Not really ...it's a fair bit of work to start a newsgroup in the first
place .. I started alt.talk.self-suffiency a while ago and you have to jump
through a few hoops to get acceptance, beg ISP's to add it to their servers
and post regularly (mostly talking to yourself) for what seems like forever
to get the group started .... then hope that some ISP's decide to carry it
and people can actually read it before wondering why no-one is answering
........... to start a moderated groups is as bad as the above with the added
problem of getting someone with the commitment to moderate EVERY post to it
You then run into the problem of censorship ... usenet is considered to be
the last frontier of free speech and who decides what is let through and is
blocked? .... can of worms .... fluff haters would block anything that isnt
topic related .such as this post ... and all the others recently
.....actually ALL my posts....

those heading can't be helping in anyway shape or form.

No they can't be ... but folks who have been around the net will see them
for what they are ....trash.

Its a problem we have to endure in our daily struggle to remain pure as the
driven snow mate ...do as I do and look the other way when you see rude
words or nekkid wimmin ........

:-))))

Pete

Old 11-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Pete" contains these words:

"len gardener" wrote in message
i recommended alt.pc to another person and they came back and said
that i had sent them to a porn site, i couldn't believe it.

Neither do I. That's because it's another wild exaggeration.

Hiya Len
If they descibed it as a "site" rather than a newsgroup they may have
accessed something other than news:alt.permaculture on their ISP's (or
other) server

Oh no! Pete doesn't believe your mystery person's claim either.

There wouldnt be many newsgroups these days which arent affected by this
kind of post

Quite, it's hardly new, and Len must surely know that. Only days ago
Fran and Andrea both mentioned porn posts on altpc, so why is he so
surprised?

In my opinion anyone who comes to a permaculture newsgroup and follows a
link to http://mysisterbonkinga3leggedfrog.com/copthis.scr or some similar
URL from someone they have never heard of, is asking for everything they
get.

Exactly.

Len has now given four fictional misrepresentations about this group.
First it was yuppies advertising commercial pc courses here; when
challenged on that he pretended they were actually doing it elsewhere
but mysteriously affecting altpc, and lied about me posting anonymously.
Now we have some invisible person claiming to be put off altpc because
it's overwhelmed with porn posts, a claim Len backs up with his own
"research", which the most cursory examination shows to be gross
exaggeration. See below*.

is it plausable to start another moderated group?

Hell's teeth, now Len wants us all to leave altpc. I wonder why?

Not really ...it's a fair bit of work to start a newsgroup in the first
place (snip)
.......... to start a moderated groups is as bad as the above with the added
problem of getting someone with the commitment to moderate EVERY post to it
You then run into the problem of censorship ... usenet is considered to be
the last frontier of free speech

Which as we all know, Len seeks for himself.

and who decides what is let through and is
blocked?

Isn't it blindingly obvious who wants that job?

* Now, here's another funny coincidence. Not only is altpc newsgroup
NOT overwhelmed by porn posts, or adverts pushing commercial pc training
centres/pc accreditation. I looked in Len's other forums, where he
claims yuppies pushing pc-training are rife, to see if he was telling
such posters to **** off and **** off. Surprise surprise, Len's rant
wasn't posted to the forums where he claims the offenders hang out.
What's more, the volume of ads for pc-teaching/accreditation centres in
those forums, is as negligible as it is on altpc.

In fact, I only noticed one person repeatedly advertising "a good site for
a Permaculture/self-sufficiency/sustainable-lifestyle learning centre to
be developed."

Guess who that was? Len himself.

Janet.