Old 12-01-2005, 09:32 AM
pete

Default Port Lincoln bush fires S.A

Hi Everyone, maybe you've heard on the news the devastating bush fires
on the Eyre Peninsula SA and specifically around Port Lincoln.

The whole area has been gutted and there have been reports of 8 dead and
another 12 missing in the area.
The fire was traveling at 70 klm per hour yesterday when we had temps of
over 41 degrees with gale force Northerly winds.
As the winds turned Westerly later yesterday we could smell the smoke as
it blew towards us over the Gulf.

Some of the regulars who have been here a while would remember Wes
Trotman a regular poster here at one time, Wes lived around the Port
Lincoln area at that time (I don't know if he still does).

I hope you'll join me in wishing Wes and Ros and all their family and
friends the best in these terrible times, I havent heard from Wes since
he last posted here, I found an email address for him on another
discussion group but my email got returned with a "non deliverable" message.

So Wes if you are out there mate, let us know you are ok .. and if
anyone has kept in touch with Wes, please let him know we are thinking
of him.

So many natural disasters .... so fragile is life.

Pete
Old 12-01-2005, 06:12 PM
len gardener

g'day pete,

good to hear from you again we hope that all come through this period
well enough. the last i heard from wes & ros was that they where in
the throws of selling to move back to the city (health reasons), so
not sure if that has happened yet, will keep you posted as wes & ros
feature on another forum at times.

take care for all concerned

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Geodyne

Janet Baraclough wrote in
:

Scotland is in the grip of severe gales and floods; three killed by
gales since yesterday, all high bridges closed and the entire ferry
service cancelled.The west -coast island of Barra measured gusts of
126 mph last night. We only got 70 mph here.

Keep safe Janet.

Geodyne

Old 12-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Geodyne

pete wrote in
:

I hope you'll join me in wishing Wes and Ros and all their family and
friends the best in these terrible times, I havent heard from Wes
since he last posted here, I found an email address for him on another
discussion group but my email got returned with a "non deliverable"
message.

Fires are never fun to be around. Hopefully all is fine with Wes and his
family.

I can report smoke settling in the north-west of Sydney yesterday as well,
although there have been no media reports as yet.

Geodyne

Old 13-01-2005, 02:25 AM
len gardener

g'day pete,

wes & ros are now livning in port lincoln havins apparently sold their
property some time ago. so far properties in that neck of the woods
apparently have escaped the fires as indicated by the poster of this
information on another forum.

len

snipped

Old 13-01-2005, 08:32 AM
pete

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Thanks Pete, I heard about that on the radio news this morning,,glad
to hear you're okay. It's a long time since Wes posted.

Scotland is in the grip of severe gales and floods; three killed by
gales since yesterday, all high bridges closed and the entire ferry
service cancelled.The west -coast island of Barra measured gusts of 126
mph last night. We only got 70 mph here.

Janet. (Isle of Arran)

Hi Janet
glad to hear your little bit of paradise escaped the worst of the winds,
seems many places are experiencing weather extremes or some kind of
force of nature, massive floods in the US and record snow falls/drifts,
Saw a mudslide in one US town and of course the worst ...the Tsunamis

On Christmas eve the biggest earthquake Tasmania had ever experienced
happened 900 klms off the Tassie coast ... I was talking to people about
how lucky Tassie was that they hadnt had a Tsunami from that quake when
I saw the Indonesian ones, at first I thought it was the same quake or
some after shock effect, then I realised it was another one, again the
biggest ...

I think Ireland has had floods too,??. We had our worst storm that we
can remember a few days a go, lost some trees and shed roofs buckled,
horses bolted through fences, friends lost many sheds and had severe
house damage, luckily no-one hurt but hell it was scary. lost another
tree that must have been weakened in the storm when the hot gale force
northerlies came the other day (the bush fire day).

It makes us realise how insignificant we humans really are when the
weather or mother nature decides to throw some huge event our way,
theres just nothing you can do except try to stay safe.

This year has started off pretty dramatically, lets hope it calms down some.
Old 13-01-2005, 08:36 AM
pete

len gardener wrote:
g'day pete,

good to hear from you again we hope that all come through this period
well enough. the last i heard from wes & ros was that they where in
the throws of selling to move back to the city (health reasons), so
not sure if that has happened yet, will keep you posted as wes & ros
feature on another forum at times.

take care for all concerned

len

snipped

How do Len
Thanks for the info on Wes ... I wouldnt wish a return to the city on
anybody but in this case I hope they did, if ya catch him around the
place give him my best wishes mate.
Old 13-01-2005, 08:46 AM
Fran

"pete" wrote in message

Hi Everyone, maybe you've heard on the news the devastating bush fires
on the Eyre Peninsula SA and specifically around Port Lincoln.

Some of the regulars who have been here a while would remember Wes
Trotman a regular poster here at one time, Wes lived around the Port
Lincoln area at that time (I don't know if he still does).

I'm glad to hear that you are OK Pete. I had been wondering about you and
Wes. I hope he and his family are OK as well.

Old 13-01-2005, 08:47 AM
Fran

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Scotland is in the grip of severe gales and floods; three killed by
gales since yesterday, all high bridges closed and the entire ferry
service cancelled.The west -coast island of Barra measured gusts of 126
mph last night. We only got 70 mph here.

Gee, only 70 MPH! A mere zephyr! Hope there was no damage to the garden
and B&B heaven.

Old 13-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Fran

"len gardener" wrote in message

wes & ros are now livning in port lincoln havins apparently sold their
property some time ago. so far properties in that neck of the woods
apparently have escaped the fires as indicated by the poster of this
information on another forum.

Thanks for that update Len.

How is your own sale going (or gone)?

Old 13-01-2005, 06:10 PM
len gardener

will do pete.

snipped

Old 13-01-2005, 06:12 PM
len gardener

g'day fran,

all in limbo sort of no one looking so looks like we are here for the
long haul, the place looks realy lush and great right now so if we
could just get someone on sight with 1/2 a tick they would almost
havta buy.

len

snipped

Old 13-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Geodyne

pete wrote in
:

On Christmas eve the biggest earthquake Tasmania had ever experienced
happened 900 klms off the Tassie coast ... I was talking to people
about how lucky Tassie was that they hadnt had a Tsunami from that
quake when I saw the Indonesian ones, at first I thought it was the
same quake or some after shock effect, then I realised it was another
one, again the biggest ...

The Macquarie Island quake wasn't much smaller than the Aceh one though
Pete - 8.5, as compared to 8.9. The type of motion at Macquarie is very
different to that of the plate boundary in Indonesia, fortunately.

If the one in the Balleny Islands in Antarctica ever went off though -
those of us in SE Oz should all brace.

The end of last year was pretty big to me - we lost 53 distant family
members in the tsunami. Hopefully the rest of this year will be somewhat
less dramatic.

Geodyne
Old 14-01-2005, 05:41 AM
pete

Geodyne wrote:
pete wrote in
:

[...]

I forgot this was your field of expertise .... strange that the Tassie
one seemed to have no effects whatsoever and on the radio people were
dismissing it as "yeah ...another earthquake" .... a few years ago I
felt our house shake for maybe 10 -15 seconds and moments later the news
came on saying we had had a 6.5 ??? (maybe it was only 5.6) quake
somewhere in the SE of SA ... miles from us but most of the southern
part of SA felt it to some degree, I went outside looking for cracks in
the ground I was sure there had to be some .... none.... but I can't
even imagine what an 8 or 9 would feel like.
Old 14-01-2005, 12:49 PM
len gardener

i may have said we are here for the long haul that is the long haul
while we wait for real estate agents to get off their butts and sell
land, can't afford to stay but can't afford to walk out either and a
lotto win would make us very willing to stay that simple, all comes
back to government policy.

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.

Abe Lincoln Tomato Patrick & Corrie Edible Gardening 9 19-03-2004 06:00 PM
Mr Lincoln's WOW! Tom Line Roses 5 16-07-2003 06:52 AM
Mr Lincoln's Look Tired. Tom Line Roses 2 24-06-2003 07:20 PM
Missster Lincoln Scopata Fuori Roses 8 24-04-2003 07:44 AM
Mr. Lincoln??? dave weil Roses 13 16-04-2003 02:08 PM