GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Plant Biology (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-biology/)
-   -   What strange seed is this?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-biology/100695-what-strange-seed.html)

Theo Griep 29-07-2005 10:13 PM

What strange seed is this??

http://home.planet.nl/~griep/seed.jpg

These StarWars-like seeds (I'm not sure these are seeds anyway...) where
floating in a lake in France.
As hard as stone, 4 very sharp points each with small hooks on it.

Anyone knows if it is a seed, if so from what plant, and why it has this
strange shape ('how is it supposed to work?') ?

Theo

Theo Griep 30-07-2005 07:49 PM

Thanks to Kay I now know it is Trapa natans.
It seems to be a pest in the US, here in Western Europe it is rare.

http://usuarios.arsystel.com/p.m/c/c...stana_agua.jpg

http://gallery.cs.umb.edu/gallery/Trapa-Natans

http://www.invasiveplants.net/invasi...rChestnut.html

http://www.aquariana.be/artikels/planten/trapa.htm