Old 08-09-2005, 10:37 AM
Registered User

Default leek reproduction

Hi i am not a gardener but i am a film maker making a film about leeks. I know that leeks can also produce clones as well as seeds, but can someone tell me if other plants do this? and why do some and not others?

thanks
ellie
Old 08-09-2005, 06:01 PM

In article ,
ellieland wrote:

Hi i am not a gardener but i am a film maker making a film about leeks.
I know that leeks can also produce clones as well as seeds, but can
someone tell me if other plants do this? and why do some and not
others?

Innumerable other plants do this, by many different methods. Some,
like garlic, never produce seeds -- it's all asexual reproduction.
Many plants can be propagated asexually even if they seldom or never do
so on their own.

You can find out a lot of this in any introductory biology textbook.
As for why, every plant has its own strategy. Asexual methods are
often more reliable, but only sexual methods (seeding) provide the
genetic diversity necessary to withstand disease and changing
conditions in the long term. Of course, in domesticated plants, the
strategy is often modified to promote the gardener's rather than the
plant's agenda.

A factlet for your film: elephant garlic is actually a leek, not a
garlic.

Old 19-10-2012, 02:01 AM posted to bionet.plants

wrote:
On Thursday, September 8, 2005 4:37:12 AM UTC-5, ellieland wrote:
Hi i am not a gardener but i am a film maker making a film about leeks.
I know that leeks can also produce clones as well as seeds, but can
someone tell me if other plants do this? and why do some and not
others?

I am a computer scientist not a botanist. Yes, many other plants
both produce seeds and reproduce vegetatively.

Never ask a biologist "Why?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_in_Biology_Makes_Sense_Except_in_the_Light _of_Evolution

--bks

Reproduction rhiannon Plant Science 4 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
reproduction of rarities P van Rijckevorsel Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:29 PM
plant reproduction cra2 Plant Science 19 26-04-2003 01:29 PM
plant reproduction cra2 Plant Biology 3 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
Reproduction Iris Cohen Plant Science 2 16-02-2003 11:45 PM