Old 01-11-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Gene Taxonomy

So I have a bit of sequence data from my graduate work that I like to
BLAST now and then to see how its gene family is developing and
sometimes some interesting new work is available about said gene
family.

My problem with this is it's becoming very difficult to track the
different genes in the gene family when there doesn't seem to be any
consistent ways to refer to the genes. Even back when I was working on
the gene it was difficult to go by the Genebank name of the genes - now
I've seen references that use loci numbers - but I've tracked two
different Genebank listings to one loci so this seems to have it's
limits too.

Short of tracking down Genebank accession numbers for each of the genes
(and it doesn't seem like people always include these in their
articles)is there anyway to keep all these genes straight?

Orchid Taxonomy Iris Cohen Plant Science 15 01-10-2003 08:02 AM
Taxonomy of Phal violacea varieties Ted Byers Orchids 5 04-06-2003 07:44 AM
Paph vietnamense taxonomy Al Orchids 7 31-05-2003 09:44 PM
Koi/Goldfish taxonomy FAQ? J. Douglas Mercer Ponds 0 28-04-2003 08:08 AM
Taxonomy H E L P HIP n TX Texas 3 05-04-2003 12:10 PM