GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Plant Biology (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-biology/)
-   -   english word for flower? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-biology/110161-english-word-flower.html)

Annalena 28-12-2005 08:02 PM

english word for flower?

Hi
i do a report about kalanchoe hybrids and need to know the english word
for a flower that has more petals than usual. (for flowers like on the
picture)
http://www.rosalina.nu/Don%20Garcia.htm
i would be happy to get an awnser
thank you
annalena

Cereus-validus-........... 28-12-2005 09:07 PM

english word for flower?

As in the case of fancy Rose and Carnation cultivars too?

They are commonly called "double flowered" but the number of petals may be
more than just double the original number.

I call them "cabbage flowered" or "cabbages on a stick".

oups.com...

Cereus-validus-........... 09-01-2006 07:35 AM

english word for flower?

No. Peloria is when a plant with normally zygomorphic flowers produces
rotate actinomorphic flowers instead. There is no change in the number of
floral parts, just in their arrangement.

An example is the florist Gloxinias derived from Sinningia speciosa.