GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Plant Biology (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-biology/)
-   -   Transport of water in cut flowers. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-biology/12591-transport-water-cut-flowers.html)

Kamran Farrukh 01-04-2003 08:44 PM

Transport of water in cut flowers.

All,

I am helping my 5th grader in planning her science experiment. She knows
that water rises in cut flowers when they are immersed in water but
wants to explore why some cut flowers in-take more water than others.
She has selected stemmed tulip, rose, carnation and daisy (with no
leaves to avoid pull due to transpiration) to compare osmosis in them. I
will appreciate if someone can help or point to a resource that will
explain the factors that impact the amount of water pulled in the
flower.

Thanks.