Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 PM
lorisarvendu

Default Some Carnivourous Plant Questions

I have a venus fly trap, which I've had for about 2 months now. It's
doing very well, and now appears to be putting out a flower. Is this
usual for the UK in winter?

I also have a pitcher planet (nepenthes) which is doing suspiciously
well too.

They are both on an east-facing window ledge in a nice warm
double-glazed (& steamy) bathroom.

Can anyone advise me about how regular I should be feeding these?

cheers

-L
Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 PM
bill sherren

"lorisarvendu" loris@anon wrote in message
news
I have a venus fly trap, which I've had for about 2 months now. It's
doing very well, and now appears to be putting out a flower. Is this
usual for the UK in winter?

I also have a pitcher planet (nepenthes) which is doing suspiciously
well too.

They are both on an east-facing window ledge in a nice warm
double-glazed (& steamy) bathroom.

Can anyone advise me about how regular I should be feeding these?

cheers

-L

Hi
Neither plant needs feeding, as they are surprisingly successful at catching
any passing flies, wasps etc.
I would move the venus flytrap to a cooler environment as it needs to become
dormant for the winter. If it stays too warm it will eventually become
weaker and die. The flower stalk should also be removed as that can weaken
the plant as well. The nepenthes if it is happy can stay where it is. This
species does not become dormant.
Also reduce the watering for the venus flytrap. Allow the saucer it is
standing in to dry out between watering.

Hope that helps!

cheers

bill
www.fly-catchers.co.uk

Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 PM
lorisarvendu

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:22:35 -0000, "bill sherren"
wrote:

[...]

Hi Bill

Thanks for the advice. I'll find somewhere else for the venus. The
nepenthes is a very beautiful and fascinating plant - a few of the
pitchers have exuded a sticky sweet-smellling juice - smells just like
candy-floss!

Nice site too, I shall add it to my favourites!

cheers

-L
Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 PM
bill sherren

wrote:

[...]

Hope it helps!
Nepenthes are one of my all time favorite plants!
Glad you liked the site.

cheers

bill

Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 PM
lorisarvendu

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 16:41:34 -0000, "bill sherren"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"lorisarvendu" loris@anon wrote in message
news I have a venus fly trap, which I've had for about 2 months now. It's
[...]

Can I quickly pester you again? When the pitchers start shrivelling
on nepenthes ( a couple of them have, from the top down - very slowly
I might add), should I allow them to shrivel up on their own, or
remove them beforehand? The pitchers are empty of liquid, so I'm
assuming that's been absorbed back in.

cheers

-L

Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 PM
bill sherren

"lorisarvendu" loris@anon wrote in message
Can I quickly pester you again? When the pitchers start shrivelling
on nepenthes ( a couple of them have, from the top down - very slowly
I might add), should I allow them to shrivel up on their own, or
remove them beforehand? The pitchers are empty of liquid, so I'm
assuming that's been absorbed back in.

cheers

-L

Hi
I would let the whole pitcher shrivel up before you need to remove it. I
usually leave it until the tendril has dried up as well. Only if I see any
signs of mould do I remove it sooner.

cheers

bill