Old 05-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Paul

Default Another Plant identification

I've been trying to identify this plant growing on the coast near Carmel in
California. Any ideas what it is?

http://www.paulweaver.com/calplant.jpg

Thanks
Paul

Old 05-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Cereoid+10+

Its the flower stem of Agave americana.

Its rather tricky to ID without seeing the leaf rosettes.

You should have asked if anybody can ID the plant.
You would rather have it identified than a bunch of lame guesses, wouldn't
you?

So, what do I win? A free trip to Carmel by the Sea and dinner with Clint
Eastwood? Go ahead, make my day!!

. ..

Old 05-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Colby Starker

It is probably Century Plant. I'm not sure of its scientific name. I think
it is in the agave family, but there may be several species to which the
common name refers. I've seen many of them growing in the SF bay area...

--
Colby Starker

Old 05-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Cereoid+10+

Its Agave americana, the most widely cultivated species in the genus. There
was a show on Alcatraz and it is now found growing all over the island in
the Sans Francisco bay. It is also grown all around the Mediterranean,
southern Africa and Australia.