Old 18-03-2006, 07:15 PM posted to bionet.plants
Leslie Hillman

Default home-made hydroponics

Hi: I'm sure by now that you have tried the tube for planting and found that
it does work. My unit sits out side in the sun. I built the first one from a
9 foot, 4 inch diameter pvc pipe. My pots were 3X3 inch pots from any place
that sells plants in the spring. The picture is pretty much self
explanatory. The pump I used was for a fountain, not a pond pump and it
pumps water through the tubes all the time. With the unit set up as it is, I
will be installing a timer on it this year. This year's model will be 5-6
tubes on the same type of A-frame rack. I did have a problem with some
plants last year and that was that plants like tomatoes get root bound and
fill the tube holding the water back from the next plant. I think I have
that problem solved but only time will tell. I will be switching to a round
container for the water this year too. Square units aren't as strong on the
sides and tend to buckle outward with the weight of the water. Contact me if
you need more information.

Home made mixture to raise KH+GH? James Ervin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 11 24-04-2003 10:32 PM
home made pond light Snooze Ponds 0 10-04-2003 07:20 PM
Home made cold frame? shannie United Kingdom 4 18-03-2003 08:44 AM
Home made potting compost John H Wood United Kingdom 5 08-03-2003 12:44 AM