Old 03-05-2006, 08:15 PM posted to bionet.plants
Dave

Default 7ft Sorrel?

Hello,

This grew in our S.Calif garden. I took it to a local nursery, but no one
could ID it (someone suggested Burdock, which it does not resemble at all).
It looks like pictures of Sorrel to me, but it grew more than 6 ft tall,
with largest leaves over 14 in long.

http://hpaa.com/d/oddplant.htm

Anyone know what it is?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 03-05-2006, 08:42 PM posted to bionet.plants
monique

It is indeed a sorrel, a species of Rumex. Six feet is pretty large, but
they do commonly grow quite large.

M. Reed

Old 04-05-2006, 01:06 AM posted to bionet.plants
Dave

Thanks for the reply. I've concluded it's Rumex crispus (Curly Dock). Most
descriptions give crispus heights from 2-4 ft, but Googling for 'Curly Dock'
and 'food' found an article about eating Docks
(http://www.arthurleej.com/a-dock.html) that claims heights over 6 ft.

I went outside and inspected the wilting plants, which were cut at ground
level. The leaves tinge with deep red as they wilt, and the stalks look
rhubarb-ish. I took a picture to show height and added it to the scanned
images on the web page.

Apparently this 'noxious' weed can provide significant nutritional value to
folks lacking taste buds.

Dave wrote:
Hello,

This grew in our S.Calif garden. I took it to a local nursery, but no

one
could ID it (someone suggested Burdock, which it does not resemble at

all).
It looks like pictures of Sorrel to me, but it grew more than 6 ft tall,
with largest leaves over 14 in long.

http://hpaa.com/d/oddplant.htm

Anyone know what it is?

Thanks,
Dave

Struggling to find homes for New Zealand Tree Ferns ranging in size from 7ft tall to over 10ft tall. PLEASE HELP [email protected] Gardening 0 26-07-2007 12:12 AM
Yellow Sorrel ? Robert United Kingdom 3 30-08-2004 02:26 PM
sorrel seedlings collapsing Deborah P. United Kingdom 7 31-05-2004 06:19 PM
Sorrel Steve Harris United Kingdom 23 24-01-2004 06:03 AM
Need information on herbicide for Oxalis (yellow creeping wood sorrel) and potatoes sahara sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:24 PM