Old 11-07-2006, 08:34 PM posted to bionet.plants
Mark

Default grafting plants from different families?????

Tried to post it in gardening newsgroup but have been advised to look
for group related to genetics.
Is this the right group?

Anyway, here is what I want I know and what I want to do:
What I know can be doneeven I have never done that) make pears grow
on apple tree by attaching a branch from pear tree to the trunk or
spot on apple tree wher the aple tree branch is coming from.

Now questions.

#1. Will this scenarioo work?
I cut out 10-15 cm of the skin from the branch of apple tree; just the
skin not going deep in the wood. Then I take apple leaves; water, blend

it in the blender a little bit until I have a paste. Put this paste in
the pouch made from cooton towel.
Put in the pouch a seedling of apple tree with some soild soil. Make
sure the seedlings go thru the hole in the pouch as if it would look
when you buy it from the store; just instead of the pot it is in the
pouch.
Place the pouch on the top of tree "wound". Tie it up to the branch
with wet piece of the same towel. Tie it up. Keep it moist. Can I
expect the new apple tree penetrate the branch, fuse with it, and
starting to grow?

#2. You probably ask why all this so complicated, when it can be done
much easier with regular grafting. Reason for that is that, if the
answer to question # 1 is "yes"; what I really want is to try instead
of planting apple tree; what I want is to try something like plant a
tomato plant on the branch of equaliptyus tree. Now it is probably from

the realm of scince fiction or is it possible?

Old 12-07-2006, 03:10 PM posted to bionet.plants
monique

Generally, only very closely related plants can be grafted--scion and
stock from the same species or genus. Rarely are intergeneric grafts
successful. Your tomato/eucalyptus scenario is probably impossible.

I don't think your method of "grafting" will work. A successful graft
requires fusion of two cambium layers, not penetration of the stock by
scion roots.

A good book on horticultural techniques--plant propagation--will
probably answer your questions.

M. Reed