Old 08-02-2007, 06:41 AM posted to bionet.plants

Default Arundo Donax

Dear Dr. Cassadonte,

I am a oboe performance graduate student under Jim Gorton of the
Pittsburgh Symphony at Duquesne University of the United States. I read
the article which talked about your study of oboe cane in the December
edition of I.D.R.S. "Good Vibrations, Musician-Scientists Probe the
Woodwind Reed" written in 1991. I found the article fascinating! It
inspired me to do some research of my own. I have been using a micrometer
to measure the depth of my teachers/my own/and other students reeds. I
would like to expand my research, though currently simple to more complex.
I want to know how the weather/climate/barometer/altitude effect reeds
and how this changes the way they vibrate. If you have any suggestions on
resources or any information on this that you would be willing to share
please let me know.

I would also like to better understand the properties of the cane itself,
which is something I believe you have studied more in depth than has ever
previously been done. I do hope to hear from you soon when convenient.

Thank you so much for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Audrey Anderson