Old 17-05-2007, 05:39 PM posted to bionet.plants

Default Plant ID

Hi -
I sent the photo to a friend who is an herbalist and here is her response -
--------------------------------------
Well, that didn't take long - from the photo it appears flowers only have 4 petals, which why I thought it might be a phlox, BUT - NOT.

From my reference book's photo & plant description I think it is:

SPECTACLE POD Dithyrea Wislizenii (mustard family). These are grayish plants that branch near the top & are 1-5 ft tall. Leaf blades are broad, taper to the tips & without petioles. The flowers grow in terminal racemes that may be a ft long in the fruiting state. Each flower has 4 light blue or purplish petals (although in the book & in your photos the flowers look almost white to me). Each fruit is shaped like the two lenses of a set of spectacles. They are found on sandy slopes throughout the western 1/2 of the state. Bloom time is May - August.

NOTE: The book I bought & use is out of print now. It's Roadside Flowers of Oklahoma by Doyle McCoy

Stephen Sentoff wrote:
Big John wrote:
No one there has any idea
what they are, so I will appreciate any clues.

Thanks --

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...5/CIMG0171.jpg

p.s. I know what the little red ones are -it's the large white ones I'm
interested in.

Big John

I'd say it's a mustard of some sort. Maybe that's enough to get you
pointed in the right direction.

--
Steve

Martha Stoodley
Muskogee Oklahoma
U.S. Cold hardiness zone 6b/7a

---------------------------------
Old 23-05-2007, 10:38 PM posted to bionet.plants

Molly Day wrote:
Hi -
I sent the photo to a friend who is an herbalist and here is her response -
--------------------------------------
Well, that didn't take long - from the photo it appears flowers only have 4 petals, which why I thought it might be a phlox, BUT - NOT.

From my reference book's photo & plant description I think it is:

Stephen Sentoff wrote:
Big John wrote:
No one there has any idea
what they are, so I will appreciate any clues.

Thanks --

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...5/CIMG0171.jpg

p.s. I know what the little red ones are -it's the large white ones I'm
interested in.

Big John

I'd say it's a mustard of some sort. Maybe that's enough to get you
pointed in the right direction.

Thanks Molly--

I think we must conclude that it's a mustard of some sort - not sure we
have hit on th exact Genus and specie, but close enough! It is shown
here growing on what we call "blow sand" - the mound it's shown on is a
ridge of sand where a fence once stood, that was built by blowing sand
during the dust bowl (Stonewall County, Texas). Interesting, in that
the people who where trying to farm it lost everything and abandoned it.
'Twas years later developed into the "Old Glory" oil field -- worth
million$ !!

Big John.