Old 29-05-2007, 05:08 AM posted to bionet.plants

Default rose "Euphrates"

Hello Jeffrey,

Did you really write this message 15 years ago? Are you still out there?

I have a healthy Euphrates rose in my garden. I live in Boulder, CO,
and I planted this rose about 8 years ago. I got it from Heirloom
Garden Roses in Oregon - they used to have this wonderful index of
oddball roses that they never advertised in their catalogue but that
you could order. I ordered five: Euphrates, Baby Faurax (which is
supposed to have an almost blue color), Ghislaine de Feligonde and
Petit Rat de L'Opera (because I could not resist the names), and
Parkdirektor Riggers. They have since discontinued this index and
most of the roses on it. Ghislaine is still available. Parkdirektor
Riggers died, Baby Faurax is struggling along and I have just moved
her to a sunnier spot, Petit Rat is doing great and Euphrates is
small but vigorous.

I have tried repeatedly to get the other two roses that are in this
teeny family (Hulthemia persica) hybridized by Harkness of England.
They are Tigris and Nigel Hawthorne. No luck.

However, Ralph Moore (now 100 years old) has hybridized two new roses
from this strain: Persian Flame and Persian Peach.

I am not interested in miniature roses per se; I mostly like old
garden roses, English roses and unusual roses. Persian Peach looks a
bit fussy to me. Persian Flame could be interesting, but I would most
like to get the original Harkness roses listed above. Have you found
them?

These roses are fascinating to me because their ancestors originated
in Iran in the 1700's, and because they are uniquely beautiful with
their red eyes.

My Euphrates rose is too small to propagate. We have harsh winters
here and in 8 years it has only achieved about 8 inches of growth
with care and protection. It is blooming right now and probably has
about a dozen flowers. It's gorgeous!

I hope that I reach you.

I would be interested to know what you have learned, and I would be
glad to give you a cutting of my Euphrates rose when she is a bit
bigger.

Please write back,

Gretchen Lang