GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Plant Biology (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-biology/)
-   -   Plant ID please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-biology/165850-plant-id-please.html)

Raphanus 15-10-2007 03:24 AM

Plant ID please

Piedmont area of South Carolina. Xeric pine farm. This one has me
stumped because it hasn't bloomed and I worry that winter will get it
before it does. I have only seen 3 or 4 specimens so it's not real
common here. See...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphanus97/

Thanks

KLU 19-10-2007 12:53 AM

Plant ID please

On Oct 14, 10:24 pm, Raphanus wrote:
Piedmont area of South Carolina. Xeric pine farm. This one has me
stumped because it hasn't bloomed and I worry that winter will get it
before it does. I have only seen 3 or 4 specimens so it's not real
common here. See...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphanus97/

Thanks

First the leaf is not trifoliate. What appear to be appendages, if you
will to the leaf are actually "appendages" to the petiole. Hence the
leaf is simply serrate with winged petiole.

With the picture provided I can only get it to a Genus, Crataegus,
Family, Rosaceae; The common name for the genus is Hawthorn. Without a
mature specimen, IE flower delineation to a species is near
impossible. Send a picture of it to the Herbarium at Clemson,
attention Patrick McMillan and Patrick can likely give you an idea of
the species.

Raphanus 19-10-2007 04:02 AM

Plant ID please

On Oct 18, 7:53 pm, KLU wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the help. Crataegus flava are fairly common here - so
perhaps it's just an immature specimen of that. It has no spines -
yet. It's not going away - about 10 meters from my front door. We'll
see if it flowers next spring.