Old 25-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Rick McGreal

Default Advice on a Haworthia fasciata

I have a Haworthia that I rescued from a friend who was killing it....
(Not intentionally)

I have had it for about 2 years now and this year it has put it 7 new
growths from the bottom and a long new growth out the top (Like a spider
plant would do)
I wish I had a digital camera....This would be so much easier!

Is this a flower or is it just like a spider plant...
A new shoot that should be pegged down to start a new satalite plant?

Any help would be great...
Links to images would be even better!

Thanks
Old 25-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Cereoid-XXXXX

The long growth from the top is the flower stem.

It is not like a spider plant. Leave the flower stem alone.

Just be patient and let the plant do its thing.

Do a google image search for Haworthia and you will find many pictures on
the internet.

More likely your plant is Haworthia attenuata rather than H.fasciata.

Old 25-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

In article ,
Rick McGreal wrote:
I have a Haworthia that I rescued from a friend who was killing it....
(Not intentionally)

I have had it for about 2 years now and this year it has put it 7 new
growths from the bottom and a long new growth out the top (Like a spider
plant would do)
I wish I had a digital camera....This would be so much easier!

Is this a flower or is it just like a spider plant...
A new shoot that should be pegged down to start a new satalite plant?

It's a flower stem. The flowers are usually tiny greenish white "lilies"
with purple stripes. Occasionally Haworthias will produce a plantlet on
the flower stem long after the flowers are gone, so leave it on the plant.

Any help would be great...
Links to images would be even better!

It's an interesting group of plants. easy to grow if you don't overwater,
and easy to propagate. The related genus Gasteria has a lot of nice plants
in it too. While some Gasterias get large, Haworthias generally stay small
so they're an good group of plants for people with limited space.

Old 25-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Rick McGreal

"Cereoid-XXXXX" wrote in
.com:

The long growth from the top is the flower stem.

It is? YAY!!! B-)
I have only ever had one cacti/succ flower....And that is my Christmas
Cacti!

It is not like a spider plant. Leave the flower stem alone.
Just be patient and let the plant do its thing.

Ok....Will do....

Do a google image search for Haworthia and you will find many pictures on
the internet.

Oh...I can find images on the net of the Haworthia
Just none with the flower stem...

More likely your plant is Haworthia attenuata rather than H.fasciata.

Hmmm...When I got it it still had its tag....
That 'said' it was a Fasciata....But I realise that this is no real proof

Hmmm...I've compaired the two.....
And I honestly can't tell the difference....
Help?

Thanks for the help

Old 25-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

In article ,
Rick McGreal wrote:
(Beverly Erlebacher) wrote in
u:

It's a flower stem. The flowers are usually tiny greenish white
"lilies" with purple stripes. Occasionally Haworthias will produce a
plantlet on the flower stem long after the flowers are gone, so leave
it on the plant.

Just how long is the stem going to get?
Right now its just over 18cm And doesn't look like ist getting ready to
stop!

They can get really long, a meter or more, even from very small plants.

It's an interesting group of plants. easy to grow if you don't
overwater, and easy to propagate. The related genus Gasteria has a
lot of nice plants in it too. While some Gasterias get large,
Haworthias generally stay small so they're an good group of plants for
people with limited space.

Its actually one of my faves I have so far....

But the one i really want is the Haworthia Coarctata v.adelaidensis
With its loverly red stems tightly packed....B-)

http://www.desert-
tropicals.com/Plants/Asphodelaceae/Haworthia_adelaidensis.html
Like this....Only I have seen them with much redder stems

Unfortunately, without intense light, you can't count on them staying
either very red or tightly packed.
Old 26-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Cereoid-XXXXX

She is joking. The flower stem rarely grows that long in that particular
species.

I did notice that the plant posing as Haworthia fasciata on the Desert
Tropicals website is actually Haworthia attenuata. They also have a photo of
the same thing under the correct name. That's why you can't tell them apart.

:

Just how long is the stem going to get?
Right now its just over 18cm And doesn't look like ist getting ready to
stop!

They can get really long, a meter or more, even from very small plants.

A METRE??!!!!
Tell me your joking.....
My window sill is only so big!

Unfortunately, without intense light, you can't count on them staying
either very red or tightly packed.

Oh....And living in Leeds...I don't think I can count on that much good
grade

ht....B-(

Old 26-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Rick McGreal

"Cereoid-XXXXX" wrote in
:

She is joking. The flower stem rarely grows that long in that
particular species.

*PHEW!*

I did notice that the plant posing as Haworthia fasciata on the Desert
Tropicals website is actually Haworthia attenuata. They also have a
photo of the same thing under the correct name. That's why you can't
tell them apart.

Ah...DO you have any reliable images I could use?
Old 26-04-2003, 09:45 PM
Cereoid-XXXXX

There have been many books written on Haworthia, mostly by Bruce Bayer.
I use them as my reference not amateur websites on the internet, but if you
must, try these for a start.

http://www.haworthia.com/

http://www.chaparraltree.com/plants/thumbnails.shtml