GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Plant Biology (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-biology/)
-   -   Direction of vine winding (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-biology/176951-direction-vine-winding.html)

Ramon E. Bisque 16-07-2008 06:46 PM

Direction of vine winding

Began searching when I noticed that my pole beans were all climbing
clockwise and a bind weed was winding in the other direction. (West of
Denver)

Was going to attempt a contact in the southern hemisphere but realize
now that it would have to be the same bean seed.

Ray Bisque

monique 16-07-2008 11:16 PM

Direction of vine winding

Ramon E. Bisque wrote:
Began searching when I noticed that my pole beans were all climbing
clockwise and a bind weed was winding in the other direction. (West of
Denver)

Twining direction is determined by genus or species. Some plants are
consistently clock-wise climbers and others are counter-clockwise. For
fun, Google up the old Flanders and Swann song about the Honeysuckle...

Monique Reed